Won't post unless RAM is reseated.

calisonic

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi all,
Recently had a problem with video card over heating (HD3870), so I got a new video card (HD 4870) and PSU (Seasonic) and the new card runs fine. However I still have this problem that caused me to go poking around the case and discover the overheating 3870 in the first place, which is:

Occasionally I will get a BSoD and the system will shut down. Then when I go to start the system, it will not post. If left alone for an hour or so, it will boot fine. However If I reseat one of the RAM modules (of two), it will post and boot no problem, every time, immediately. This usually occurs during gaming (GTA4, CoD, MW2, Crysis)

Also, when in BIOS the system will occasionally restart and/or shutdown, however, it has done this since day 1.

Components:

Asus M4A78T-E mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.2 (no OC)
2x 2GB sticks of GSkill DDR3 1333
Seasonic 630 PSU
WD 620GB Sata 3 Gb/s HDD
Asus Ati HD4870 1GB GDDR5
Win7 x64 Pro

Ran memtest and it will crash if both sticks are installed din any two slots, however it will pas if only one stick is installed in any slot. Any ideas?

Thanks!

calisonic

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Unfortunetly I don't have another rig that will accpt this RAM to test.
So i've narrowed it down to, it wont post unless it's not running in dual channel mode. In single channel it will run fine with both sticks installed.