Two pumps (swiftech MCP 355) would be too much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I need the pump to watercool a 360mm and a 420mm rad, 3 GPU and the CPU (I doubt that I'll have to watercool my mobo since its just a gaming PC).

Main reason I would go for 2 pump is because of the reservoir that I'd like to use (builded for 2 pumps) and with my newbie mathematique about pump for wathercooling it seem that 1 was barely not enough.

Edit: Money isn't realy a problem as long as I can get the more silent set-up so feel free to help me with your wisdom.

Solution
I've seen that and I think I might actually have it linked in the sticky. I would agree with it's accuracy, and would back up those claims (although I've never tested them myself, I've just seen similar numbers posted on restriction elsewhere on the web). I don't want people to get too wrapped up in details, but it is definitely great knowledge when making choices on components, such as a pump. Even at less than 1gpm, you can achieve very good results, so don't get too wrapped up in that 1-1.5gpm range. Conversely, at more than 3gpm, it often takes more power to run pumps to push water this fast, and thus more heat dump by the pump to achieve that flow rate vs. how much difference and drop in temps being attempted by that flow rate...

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Well the only reason I'd go with these two pump (in 1 loop) would be to use this reservoir: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14367/ex-res-329/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_-_DDC_Dual_Pump_Dual_Split_Reservoirs_w_Dual_Pumps_Installed_-_Clear_CUSTOM-DDCBAYTWO.html

For an extra 40$ it come with 2x MCP35X but I feel it would realy be overkill. But I can always try to find another reservoir that could hide a single MCP35x if its realy the best option

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So you are buying 2 pumps simply because of the reservoir you want to use? They make that res in a single pump version as well...

You'd be better off either running a single pump or if you ran dual pumps to run them in serial either with a dual top or serial and separated in the loop.

Lutfij

Titan
OP could also route the bay res to function with one pump.

as a newbie, really no need to get such an expensive piece of hardware unless you're running two separate loops. Otherwise one loop is just fine, from teh review i saw of a rig with dual loops. 1 for cpu, 1 for gpu.

+1 to rubix

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Single MCP35x would be good with higher head and flow, but MCP355 should also work fine. DDC pumps are usually quite good in higher restriction loops, anyway. All DDC/MCP pumps with the '3' naming convention are compatible with tops and add-ons for those pumps as they share the same screw mounts and overall pump size.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Well sry that i wasn't realy clear I was kinda in a hurry when I've made this reply. According to the sticky a single MCP355 isn't enough for the loop I'm planing and the MCP35x wouldn't leave me room to add a motherboard block if I ever feel too (most likely won't hapen since its only a gaming PC).

But I'm more concerned about the noise level and effiency then beeing able to had a mobo block. Also I want to stick with 1 loop.

A single MCP35x + that reservoir is 160$ and the dual MCP355 + reservoir is 230$ so for a 70$ I'll just take the best option.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
According to the sticky a single MCP355 isn't enough for the loop I'm planing and the MCP35x wouldn't leave me room to add a motherboard block if I ever feel too (most likely won't hapen since its only a gaming PC).

I don't think I put anything in the sticky that discusses anything about how much a specific pump can push through a loop of any certain size/restriction.

You wouldn't be able to hear either of those pumps over the noise of case fans you have.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

That link of the sticky: http://www.overclock.net/t/1108918/what-can-my-pump-handle-a-guide

According to that one a MCP355 will keep a 1GPM flow up to 4.63 PCI. And my loop require 5PSI to maintain 1GPM.

If everything said in that link is accurate I'll go with the MCP35x.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've seen that and I think I might actually have it linked in the sticky. I would agree with it's accuracy, and would back up those claims (although I've never tested them myself, I've just seen similar numbers posted on restriction elsewhere on the web). I don't want people to get too wrapped up in details, but it is definitely great knowledge when making choices on components, such as a pump. Even at less than 1gpm, you can achieve very good results, so don't get too wrapped up in that 1-1.5gpm range. Conversely, at more than 3gpm, it often takes more power to run pumps to push water this fast, and thus more heat dump by the pump to achieve that flow rate vs. how much difference and drop in temps being attempted by that flow rate. (make sense?)

I would suggest a flow rate range of .75gpm to 1.5gpm are what most people actually run, with a few in the 2gpm range. These ranges are fine for a water loop, so you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.