RE3 or P6X58D Premium

ccowan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I am going to get a new motherboard to give my current P6T to my Mum for a computer I am building her, I am looking at the RE3 or P6X58D the only reason really why I am looking at the RE3 as I am am gamer, but I only have 1 5870, but the main reason I want to look at the RE3 is because I want to know if you can get the same Illuminated back panel like you can get on the RE2, and I think that water blocks for the RE3 will be more widely available as I am going to fully water cool the motherboard when I have the money.

I will also get a Seagate Barracuda XT to utilise the 6gb/s and I am going to use a new 920 chip too, I can't afford the extra fro the i7 extreme whatever number it is.

Many Thanks

C Cowan

The i7 920's is 20x, apparently which was unstable for some overclocks, but the i7 930's is 21x stock, up to 22x for Turbo Boost I think. As for i7 975/980X Extreme Edition CPUs, the multiplier is completely unlocked, although at stock it is at 25x. For the i7 965 Extreme Edition, it is at 24x.

920 is 20..... 930 is 21

You want a great mainstream board with great overclocking ability, the P6x58D is the way to go .... perfectly suited if you are gonna set it up once, zoom in our your best OC and leave it alone from then on.

You want a great overclockers board, where you'll be forever fiddling with new OC's after each new BIOS and component add on, get the R3E.

Everything you wanted to know about the R3E and then some.

http://www.vortez.co.uk/contentteller/articles_pages/asus_rampage_iii_extreme_motherboard_review,1.html

No more daughter card for sound tho.

ccowan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Well I think I am going to get a P6X58D as I can get it from MIPS in Germany who sell It with waterblocks pre installed on the NB/SB mosfets and vregs, And I really want a fully watercooled system as I want a totally silent pc with the fans on the radiator being of so I can leave it on and it will be near silent.