Pls help me decide!!

zakk21

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
pls kindly take a look at my computer build..

processor: i7 920

mobo: asus rampage 2 gene

vcard: evga gtx 260

ram: OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel - 7342

powersupply: ocz stealth x stream 600w

chassis:thermaltake element g

hdd: seagate 500 gb sata

cd player: any dvd-r

monitor: 19'' samsung widescreen

cpu temp monitoring: thermaltake hardcano 6 7 II temp monitoring

avr: any 1000w

can someone pls tell me if all these parts are compatible with each other, especially with my psu.. pls reply! thanks a lot

zakk21

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
lets say that i stick with the ocz 600w psu, i read on some reviews that ocz can only have 3 sata connections, will it be able to handle all the parts including the thermaltake monitoring temperature? thanks for all the suggestion :)

@englandr753
i won't go sli unless someone would give me a gtx260 for xmas :) hehehehee

kleinberg

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
zakk, I would maybe rethink your GPU choice. The i7 CPU is a beast, and has room to handle a much more powerful graphics card. See today's featured article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-platform,2469 for more details on getting a balanced system.

That being said, if you're planning on upgrading to 2xGTX 260s in SLI and a bigger monitor in the future, the i7 would probably be a great choice.

As for power connectors, the GTX260 requires 2 6-pin power connections. It will usually list these requirements in the NewEgg specs, and you can see the connections on some of the pictures (they are on the opposite end of the board as the video outputs). The power supply should also list how many 6-pin PCI-e connections it has. If it doesn't have enough, you can get a 6-pin to Molex adapter for <$3 (Molex is the connection with 4 fat pins, used for fans, disk drives and all kinds of stuff). Some cards even come with these adapters, again check your NewEgg specs or a review of a specific brand's card.

You can use adapters but its not recommended. If you already owned the psu then it would be a consideration but you are selecting a power supply and have a choice to get the right one so an adapter really should be out of the question.

Make sure the psu you are looking at has the correct power connectors, if it doesn't then you need to consider one of our suggestions...