Help comp unexpectadly shuts off

neworder1976

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
My new build just started shutting off while gaming after a week. There is no bsod or anything, it just shuts off. Also, no overclocking, all stock with updated drivers. There is no overheating of video or cpu. Could this be a bum power supply? Thanks

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
4gigs gskill
corsair 750W
AMD AthlonIIX4 630(stock cooling) running around 32
ASUS 4770 running below 50C
vista 32bit home premium svcpak2

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
What game? I reccomend you run Prime 95 and watch the temperature, if Prime 95 causes your machine to shut off, let us know and tell us the highest temperature it reached. It could be a bad power supply, but I don't know. If Prime 95 doesn't cause your machine to shut off, it might be you accidentally kicking the case, or an overheating/ dying Video card.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
What kind of cooling setup do you use? One thing I've found over the years is that its important to keep a strong cooling fan under the power supply to help draw hot air out from under it. Maybe your power supply is overheating?

I would replug in all the cables to be sure that gravity hasnt pulled something loose for you.

Another good reason to like cases with bottom mounted PSUs and top exhaust fans.