william_76

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hello,sir madam? I just built a p.c with apu 3870, asrock A75 Pro 4 m mobo... 4gb of ram... can you help me overclock this system??? any help si appreciated..
thanks!!!

Solution

William,

Sorry for late response to you as I have been out of the country, I am glad you have got a stable overclock so far. I suspect you may get to 3.4Ghz per core using a x34 Multiplier and Bus at 100Hz but will require slight voltage increases (see below). I did not use the stock cooling solution that came with the 3870K as you have, I bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and have only run that cooler on the CPU. The stock coolers don't usually...

ArcAudios

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello William, I also bought the 3870K APU for a build, I have the ASUS F1A75 V-EVO mobo so don't know your bios setup. Bios is the place for you to make the changes. I'd suggest that you make small changes to the Multiplier first - stock is x30 this can be increased - the bus speed of 100Mhz is also set as stock - this too can be increased, get a feel for stability of say x33 Multiplier that leave you at 3.3Ghz. Making changes to the 100Mhz bus spd will however have affect on your RAM spd, due to this effect I have left the bus at 100Mhz. The 3870K can get to 3.8Ghz in my build but I prefer to relax it to 3.5Ghz/ 3.6Ghz saving from higher temperatures and I wanted 3.5Ghz.

Read Tom's Hardware advice for Overclocking Black Edition AMD Processors; you've got an APU but this is technique used on unlocked AMD processors - great advice, helped me out. Small steps William as you don't want to end up knackering the thing. Read the link first;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274820-11-black-edition-overclock-raising-multiplier-guide

Forums, Overclocking, black-edition-overclock-raising-multiplier-guide

william_76

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Thank you very much! it works, I overclock my system to 3.3. I like to go further but it concern me with the temperature or heat, I'am just using the provided cooling fan for the c.p.u. Is it OK to overclock my system to 3.5 using the provided cooling fan for the c.p.u.. thanks>>

william_76

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Thank you very much! it works, I overclock my system to 3.3. I like to go further but it concern me with the temperature or heat, I'am just using the provided cooling fan for the c.p.u. Is it OK to overclock my system to 3.5 using the provided cooling fan for the c.p.u.. thanks>>

ArcAudios

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

William,

Sorry for late response to you as I have been out of the country, I am glad you have got a stable overclock so far. I suspect you may get to 3.4Ghz per core using a x34 Multiplier and Bus at 100Hz but will require slight voltage increases (see below). I did not use the stock cooling solution that came with the 3870K as you have, I bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and have only run that cooler on the CPU. The stock coolers don't usually deliver the cooling headroom needed for heavier overclocks so I would always pay close attention to the temps that you get readouts on. CPU and Motherboard temps are critical to watch here.

I'd suggest stepping up the multiplier to x34 and determine stability with test software or some gaming time spent. My own system got to 3.8Ghz with the Hyper 212+EVO cooler, temps were rising higher than I would have liked at this point however and as stated I reduced to a workable and stable 3.6Ghz per core and my GPU overclocked to 800Mhz. Temps are fine at 3.6Ghz for mine.

With your stock cooler, 3.4Ghz using an x34 Multiplier is surely possible however please note that above x33 (3.3Ghz) I had increased the voltages. I would not push past 3.3Ghz without slight increases in voltages. For me it was trial and error however the voltages I give you below should work fine and have been used by others without issue.

CPU Voltage 1.437v
VDDNB 1.175v
SB1.1v 1.150v
APU1.2v 1.250v
VDDA 2.500v

You use a different Motherboard than me so the above voltage names may appear different on your BIOS, the core is CPU voltage followed by North-Bridge voltage, South-Bridge Voltage, APU1.2v is critical when overclocking the integrated 6550 Graphics Processor - 1.250v should cover it for your overclock purposes. VDDA - Not touched keep it at 2.500v. Your Motherboard BIOS will allow tweaks to these Voltages, however the naming convention may differ so be careful. They may not be called the same as the ASUS terminology above. All the best.

regards,

Solution

william_76

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I had tried your suggestion and in work, but after a hour the system becomes unstable so i decided to change it back to x33 I'am happy and satisfied with 3.3.. maybe i need to change may mobo and power supply and the cooling system to go further in overclocking... again what you suggested really works.... thanks for the info... I really learn a lot..

TRENDING THREADS