Fans Whirring -- No Input on Monitor

lunarwolfspirit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
My computer has been acting up recently. When I push the power button on my computer, you hear the usual sounds of a computer attempting to boot up. The fans start whirring, you can hear the hard-disk making its usual churning noise, but the fan on the motherboard itself seems to spin up -- then stop. Repeatedly.

The only way around this problem is to either repeatedly power cycle the computer, or pull out the AC Cord, release the remaining energy, plug it back in, and start up the computer.

The symptoms really seemed to be like a power issue, so I did the most logical thing to me -- replace the power supply.

It didn't work however. The same symptoms remain. Can I safely assume that it is a problem with the motherboard now? Are there any simple tests I can run to further determine the problem?

Sm1th

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Yeah, you did the right thing by trying a different PSU. To me it sounds like the power controller on the motherboard is getting flaky. You could RMA the board over something like this, if it's still under warranty. Have you tried clearing the CMOS or performing a BIOS update? They might not have any effect, but may be worth a shot.

lunarwolfspirit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3R
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM

I will try the RAM solution and report back. Though, it is difficult to say as the problem is pretty erratic. What I find though is that if I start the computer by freshly turning on the mains, i.e. there is no excess power stuck in the PC as a result, the computer will turn on fine.