Can I use an SSD for main drive and a RAID configuration afterwards?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I am working on a new build and want to utilize the equipment that I already have. I have a 200GB SSD drive which is currently the drive I have my system files on. Then I have two identical drives that are 931GB each. right now I have them as D and E but I was wondering if I could turn them into a RAID 0 configuration but still utilize the SSD as the main drive for system files to boot from for the best speed.

Can you tell me if this is possible or provide any other suggestions to optimize read performance? No problem buying more drives if I need to.

Solution
Yes, but method depends on your system (your configuration does not state which MB.

Method depends on available sata ports.
If you have only intel sata ports you would probably need to reinstall operating system and programs on SSD - Reason is changing from AHCI (i'm quessing that is what you had the BIOS set to).
Basically you would (After Backing up all of your Data):
(1) Change BIOS to Raid. Disconnect HDDs and Just SSD installed.
(2) Install windows, when complete
(3) reconnect HDD enter raid setup and set up raid0 for the Two HDDs.
(4) from windows disk management, initialize/partition and format HDDs.

If you have two controllers and 2nd controller supports raid then move the HDDs to the 2nd controller (ie a marvel controller)...
Yes, but method depends on your system (your configuration does not state which MB.

Method depends on available sata ports.
If you have only intel sata ports you would probably need to reinstall operating system and programs on SSD - Reason is changing from AHCI (i'm quessing that is what you had the BIOS set to).
Basically you would (After Backing up all of your Data):
(1) Change BIOS to Raid. Disconnect HDDs and Just SSD installed.
(2) Install windows, when complete
(3) reconnect HDD enter raid setup and set up raid0 for the Two HDDs.
(4) from windows disk management, initialize/partition and format HDDs.

If you have two controllers and 2nd controller supports raid then move the HDDs to the 2nd controller (ie a marvel controller), set up raid - Done.

KNOW for the $64,000 question, why do you want to use raid 0??

Raid0:
Only improves sequencial read / writes, does nothing for access time nor does it improve the 4ki small file random read /writes. Sequencial performance is only important if you do a lot of large file work, ie editting/encoding large 1 gig video files, work a lot on large jpeg photos, large spreedsheets, or CAD/CAM drawing files. May improve loading game map files (but not a big performance boost here).

Solution
Have the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4. It has 4 Intel Sata II, 2 Intel Sata III and 2 Marvel Sata III ports.
Check closely on the sata ports/controllers and if the marvel supports Raid. If same as Mine then:
.. The marvel Sata III do not support Raid0
.. You want the SSD on the Intel Sata III
.. If you still want raid0 for HDDs, they have to go on to the Intel Sata II port.

** If your model the Marvel controller suppors Raid then use that for the HDD raid 0.
If not using raid0, then use AHCI, use up the Intel ports (SSD still on SATA III) and if you do not use the marvel ports, disable in bios until needed.