• Graphics Cards
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Alienware
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Displays
November 17, 2009 4:40:01 AM

I am looking for a monitor mostly used for gaming. Im willing to spend 250 but would rather spend around 200 with shipping. Size doesnt matter too much but preferably 19.5 or over would be nice.. oh and a HDMI port would be sweet too.

Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis 875W Power Supply
Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
9GB Triple Channel 1067Mhz DDR3
1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Alienware TactX™ Gaming Headset
Alienware TactX™ Keyboard
Alienware TactX™ Mouse

More about : gaming monitor

November 17, 2009 5:08:58 AM

If you haven't bought that compute yet, don't. You're getting ripped off badly.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 5:24:39 AM

I already did I bought it threw my work and i know its a rip but they just take it out of my checks so i dont have to save up for the computer. Im not too into dell and ive never built a PC but i decided all of my upgrading will now be done myself and when i need my next computer i will be building it. Im trying to learn everything about computers now and figure out the best type of things to buy
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:30:17 AM

winner4455 said:
If you haven't bought that compute yet, don't. You're getting ripped off badly.

He didn't ask about your opinion of his rig, he asked about a gaming monitor. For many people, buying a trouble free warranteed pre-built is worth the premium over building it themselves, whether it be for lack of time or knowhow, or simply for piece of mind.

As for the actual question at hand, in your budget (up to 250) you could get a nice, high response rate 24" monitor for a bit more than that acer suggested, same resolution (videocard will perform the same with either) but a bit more real estate and faster response rate, and of course more money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 17, 2009 6:23:09 AM

That Asus you provided definatly is one ive been looking at. I just cant figure out what to buy though lol. at first i was looking to spend around 170 and just get a 19.5 but now that ive been looking i keep thinking a 22 to 24 would be nicer.
m
l
November 17, 2009 6:49:22 AM

I would choose furst one among LG, ViewSonic and HP, but the other two are good too. All of them are 22"
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:09:30 PM

It seems like a waste to me to buy a really nice rig and then get a tiny (19") monitor. I would say get a 22" at least.
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:27:11 PM

JofaMang said:
He didn't ask about your opinion of his rig, he asked about a gaming monitor. For many people, buying a trouble free warranteed pre-built is worth the premium over building it themselves, whether it be for lack of time or knowhow, or simply for piece of mind.

As for the actual question at hand, in your budget (up to 250) you could get a nice, high response rate 24" monitor for a bit more than that acer suggested, same resolution (videocard will perform the same with either) but a bit more real estate and faster response rate, and of course more money:

eh i rather dislike those asus monitors they are cheap and have size and plenty of inputs but the color is sub par out of box and the backlight is overpowering it's just another cheap monitor.

but for around 200 can't get much in terms of size frankly i like to spend a ton of money on a monitor because it's usually the thing that outlasts my system.

I never understood of best response times for monitor choices when you play online is really a few 100th's of a second going to help you also why would you want that advantage i like a challenge.

I really dislike the trend of putting random crap on monitors too like speakers and stuff i always feel they justify price hikes with them.

still just another cheap monitor i'd just go with the acer above but view sonic tends to be a little better on the colors still bad with backlights but you can usually turn off anything on a viewsonic monitor if you really like a few more ms and the worlds shittiest picture.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 4:38:32 PM

Well, even with included speakers, its still pretty reasonable price for a 24". I personally don't notice a difference between say, 2ms and 5ms, but some do. In case he is one of those people, he might appreciate a 2ms response rate. I also have never noticed an ASUS screen having a too strong backlight or poor color, but I haven't done side by side comparisons. I also am not very picky with these things. My last LCD monitor was a 9 year old samsung 15 inch, and even though I replaced it with a cheap BenQ (22" 1080p) I am still super happy with my choice. It's not that the old screen was that bad (though it was) but this benQ performs beyond my expectations and its price ($130 on sale the day I built this rig.)

Anyhow, I still think it would be a good bang for buck monitor, and prefferable over a 19.5 at the least, heh, if not a really nice (expensive) 19.5.
m
l
November 17, 2009 4:54:57 PM

19" monitor are fine for me. 22" is still fine for me but just get ones with HD, HDMI ports, 2MS response time and with GOOD REVIEWS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:26:42 PM

The Asus is good for the price, IMO (i have the 23.6" variant) it works fine for games and decent in movies
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2009 6:04:47 PM

The best monitor available for the money and performance is the Hanns-G 281DPB 28" LCD.

I agree, shame to have such a nice machine and then limit yourself to a 19" or 22" monitor; especially if you want this machine for gaming, and even more so because you've got a 5870! Seriously, anything less than 24" and 1920x1200 is a waste of a 5870.

For the sake of your 5870 save up a few more bucks and get the Hanns-G!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 6:39:15 PM

^+1

If you can scratch together a few more bucks for it, that monitor would be a great, long term addition to your rig, and indeed, make a bit better use of the 5870.
m
l
November 17, 2009 8:49:20 PM

Yup great monitor but above his price range but free shipping does make it a better sell if his state doesn't have sales tax on it it's easy to throw down 50 more then your budget

monitors last a good deal of time so it makes sense to get a good quality one.
m
l
November 20, 2009 2:54:35 PM

I just got a Samsung 2570hd and was happy until I went to play Quake III and the 4 ms refresh rate advertised didn't seem to be good enough and made the game harder to play because of image smearing. I was using a 19" crt. Would the Hans help solve this problem? I love the size and it will just barely fit in my computer desk under the bookcase underhang. Am I simply expecting too much from an LCD? I have a plasma TV and it is great with my PS3. Doesn't fit on a computer desk though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2009 7:49:08 PM

A 4ms g2g response rate is more than enough for adequate gaming so something else must be at play here.

What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?
m
l
November 20, 2009 8:23:23 PM

what about samsung p2250 ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2009 9:12:18 PM

Kapanci said:
what about samsung p2250 ?

The full spec's from Samsung make it out to be a pretty good monitor.

And Samsng itself is a pretty high quality brand.
m
l
November 20, 2009 11:05:27 PM

Samsung 2233 - 5ms response time - 1920x1080

or the P2070 - 2ms response time - 1600x900

i currently have a pair of 2270's and will never change monitors until high lifespan OLED's come out.

they are not the brightest monitors but that works very well considering my room is not very bright normally anyway.

250 lumens vs 300 of normal monitors. but currently the 2270 and 2370's are the top of every review i've seen.
m
l
a c 413 U Graphics card
a c 340 4 Gaming
a c 208 C Monitor
November 20, 2009 11:47:38 PM

IzzyCraft said:
eh i rather dislike those asus monitors they are cheap and have size and plenty of inputs but the color is sub par out of box and the backlight is overpowering it's just another cheap monitor.

I have the same general opinion about any and all monitors using TN panels. :) 

I have an Asus VK246H which turns out to be a pretty good gaming monitor, but I only use it to monitor process about 4 or 5 hours a week.
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:18:09 AM

A guy at Office Depot suggested I use the HDMI input instead of the AVI input to play my games. My Dell Studio435mt i7 920 came with an ATI 4670xt card with no HDMI out. He told me to buy an adapter- AVI to HDMI. I did and now Quake III seems to be playing with better frame rates, but on 2D desktop stuff the picture is noticeably blurier. Right now I am typing this with the AVI hooked in and the text has very clear edges. If I hook the same cable up to the HDMI adapter it looks a little blurier and the colors aren't quite as nice. Yes, I've played with screen resolutions in both to make sure I am comparing correctly. Maybe if I had a video card with an HDMI out it might work correctly?

Here's another question. I don't really need the TV option on this thing although it is nice to have. I was looking at the Hans G on this thread. I guess it might be better for gaming than this and it has a higher resolution. How do you think the overall prettiness of the picture would be compared to this Samsung. I mean, I imagine the color and contrast would probably be better than this one. I know size and resolution are nice, but sometimes an inferior picture isn't worth it. I mean, I prefer my 720p Panasonic plasma to many 1080p LCDs.

Has anyone used the Hans G281-whatever letters and the Samsung 2570 or 2370 who could offer some insight?

This monitor looks nice right now I must say. A moment ago with the slight blur and bluish tint when I had the HDMI converter plugged in I thought, "Man, I've got to ditch this thing." For some reason it is looking better in XP here than it did in Vista a moment ago- even at the same resolution. I have two drive on this computer because some of my expensive software didn't want to work in Vista so I decided to buy a second hard drive rather than shell out hundreds in software.
m
l
November 21, 2009 3:50:19 PM

I've done it again and again and it is so weird. If I use the DVI on this Samsung I get a beautiful picture, but on Quake III it just isn't smooth enough- like fewer fps. If I put a DVI to HDMI converter on it (my card lacks an HDMI out) the fps goes up and it is smooth, bu the picture is slightly out of focus, the blacks turn grey- bad contrast- and the whole monitor takes on a cold, bluish hue. I hope maybe a card with HDMI might give me the best of both worlds. I'll have to hook a Blu-Ray or my Canon HD video camera up to see if something is generally wrong with the HDMI input on this thing.
m
l