Would this PC be ok for Gaming?

G

Hi There
I was wondering if this system specification would be ok for gaming. This system is ONLY for gaming, nothing else. I would be playing games such as World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, 5 & 6, Crysis etc..

CPU: Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9400
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D (nForce 750i chipset, SLI)
Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR2 800mhz XMS2 (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado
Case: Antec Three Hundred

I am a bit unsure about the RAM it is 4.0GB at 800 mhz. I do not know whether to upgrade to 8.0GB 800 mhz.

What are your suggestions? Thanks for all your help :)

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes... the system would be fine for gaming. You won't need to go up to 8GB of RAM. You don't see much benefit in gaming after 3GB of RAM.

Is this a old build with upgrade, newly built system or looking to build? If it is the last one, there are better routes to take than an LGA775 socket, since it is EOL.

G

Would the Q9400 be ok still. I cannot afford anything above that processor :(

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Indeed, and the 955 is altogether a better processor, and it still has upgrading potential.

And get a brand name PSU! Antec, Corsair or perhaps Seasonic. People so often buy cheap PSU's, but they're the single most crucial component in a PC. If you want to stay within budget, get a 500 or 600w PSU, both are still more than you need.

Good point on the PSU. If you are getting an antec 300, get the illusion model for the front fans and get it on a combo deal with a decent Antec Earthwatts 550 or 650 power supply. Bad power will make for a bad system.

like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.288427

More epxensve does not mean faster. If you live near a microcenter, you can often get an i5 for less than that old q9400. If not the AMD PhIIx4 955 is cheaper and faster.

G

Is my power supply of 700w ok for the 5850 graphics card?? Thanks for all your suggestions :)

tecmo34

Administrator
No... The manufacturer is not high quality and will put your system at risk. It is the our recommendation to switch it out with either a Corsair, Antec or OCZ PSU. You can drop down to a 550w PSU from those makers and still be good to go on your system.

tecmo34

Administrator

He has access to a 700W OCZ, which is a quality brand and I would recommend it over Thermaltake.

G

Thanks Guys, I shall go for the OCZ. I have ordered the Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9400 a couple of days ago. Are you sure this is a good processor for gaming? Thanks for all your help :)

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Man,. everybody here told you to not get the processor. Its LGA 775 socket which is end of life. You wont be able to upgrade your processor without changing your motherboard too.

If you still can, get this:

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE/ G.Skill 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 [$190.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.286521

It was either this or the new Anthlon II x3 435 as in CPUs, which one do you think's the better choice? Also, is 4GB overkill for XP-32 bit? Would I get the same performance for 2 1GB sticks?

MOBO: MSI 785GM-E65 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard [$89.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813130233

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case [$69.95]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129066

PSU: BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply [$49.99]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817702010

This build will last you more than the one you are thinking to build. You can maybe swap the tri-core processor here for a quad core. This build leaves you a wide upgrade path, whereas the system you are thinking of building will not be friendly towards upgrade. Sure, it will play today's games just fine, but while buiding computers, you just dont think about the present, you take into consideration the future also, right???

Also, if you want you can take a look at an i5 build, but I am not the right person to help you with that. Maybe others will.

Happy gaming mate... :)

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Also, if you cant change your current build, at least change your motherboard to something that supports crossfire and not SLI as you are going for an ati card, or buy an nvidia card for your current build , so that you can sli another card in the near future.

(Although I must say, going by nvidia route is no longer considered good , coz ati's latest generation cards are much more powerful and future proof than their nvidia counterparts. ) I am sorry if all this sounds greek to you. But judging by your first post, you seem like a techie, so I am trying to help you get the best for the least $$....

G

I mean I cannot upgrade the processor as i have already bought it. :( I generally prefer to buy new systems rather than upgrade.
Is this motherboard any better
Asus M4A79T Deluxe (AMD 790FX Chipset, 4x DDR3, Crossfire)
It supports Crossfire too.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
***..... NO
I am soooo sorry. Dunno what I was thinking When I wrote that.

The mobo that you just mentioned is for amd processors. Lemme look for an intel build. Gimme like 3 hours coz I am goin back home from work..

I can't believe I'm even suggesting this. This thread is like a step back a year in time. LGA 775 chips haven't been a good choice for a new build for quite a while. Can't you return the Q9400? I guess since you already bought the chip then you're stuck with it, even if it doesn't make any sense right now. This motherboard is a very nice LGA 775 board that supports Crossfire.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $134.99 - $20 MIR

I haven't suggested that board for quite a while.

G

I guys, I am thinking of just buying a pre-built computer now.
I have seen this PC for a very good price, what do you guys think of it??

Thanks for all your previous suggestions but I cannot use New Egg because I live outside the USA.

AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Quad Core Processor AM3 (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - 64bit English
Midi Tower XGS Gaming Chassis - Black / Black Mesh + 550W PSU
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Mainboard - AMD 790X CrossFireX- AM3 Phenom™ II, DDR3 - ATX
8GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - ( 4x2GB )
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer
22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5770 Graphics Accelerator GDDR5- ***DirectX 11***
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound