shaqxolotl

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi there everyone! I was hoping that you guys could help me on this one.

Is there a way to have a back-up HDD that automaticaly copies files download off of your primary HDD?

This is my setup:

60GB SSD - OS, programs, applications ect...

400GB - All of my games.

500GB - Back-up drive.

So... I was wondering, when i dowload programs to my SSD, is it possible for the programs to be automaticaly transfered to my back-up HDD? And thats the same as my 400GB HDD, when i download games onto it, is it possible for them to be automaticaly transfered to my 500GB back-up?

And is it possible to have Windows 7 OEM copied onto my SSD and back-up drive?

Thanks!

Solution
The WD Passport USB 3 is fine, I use the same one, but 1TB (Bestbuy had it on sale for $75 USD).

But I also have a 3 1/2" drive I mounted into a USB3 enclouser. I prefer the Samsung F3 1 TB drive over the WD black - The WD black use to be my prefered drive. So Base choice on cost.

bucknutty

Distinguished
A tool like microsoft sync toy will will alow you to copy folders and keep them the same, but it will not copy installed games or an operating system. If you want to do a full operating system copy including the master boot record you need a tool like acronis true image, or norton ghost.

If you are running windows 7 this is what I would recommend:
Use the windows 7 backup (located in control Panel) to create an image of your system drive, direct the image to go to your back-up drive. I prefer to use a USB Drive for this.
You only need to do this as you add programs and verified that the new program is running good. Note for a 60 gig boot drive this is relativly fast.
Advantage of this is if You have to restore your System, you can use the Windows 7 Installation disk (or you the restore disk that you will be prompt to create - My self as I have several win 7 disk so don't bother with). You can then restore win7 and all programs without doing a re-install and loading all programs, again to a SSD this is quite fast.
You could the use windows 7 to perform a back up of just your HDD on a given interval.

This only applies to windows 7 as it is a new feature. I have used this several times and it works great.

shaqxolotl

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

So will this back up everyhting on both my 400gb HDD and 60gb SSD onto my 500gb HDD?

I basically want everything on a seprate drive, incase anything goes wrong. And I am buying Windows 7 OEM so should create a back up disk?

Thanks!

Two things.
(1) for back up purposes, I prefer a Usb HDD. Reason is that if you have a problem develop such as a PSU failure, or a HDD Controller failure there is a possibility that ALL Internal HDDs could be distroyed - Small, but does happen. But if it DOES happen - say bye-bye to your Back-up.
(2) The Imaging of the C drive is done at Your discretion. What I do is I create a System image (A) after Inital install, ie all windows updates completed and all drivers that need updating. (B) I then load all my programs and check that all is well and if everytning is good, then create a new image. (C) I then only redo this image when important changes have been made to operating system (This is subjective, myself I redo on a monthly basis and Have no problem with bi-monthly).
(3) for backing up the HDD with your data, just set the interval to what is approprate for you, nightly, or weekly.

shaqxolotl

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Ok, I sort of get it, do you reccomend this as my back-up?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_173&products_id=16543

Or is it a better idea for the caviar black 500gb to be my back-up?

Thanks!

The WD Passport USB 3 is fine, I use the same one, but 1TB (Bestbuy had it on sale for $75 USD).

But I also have a 3 1/2" drive I mounted into a USB3 enclouser. I prefer the Samsung F3 1 TB drive over the WD black - The WD black use to be my prefered drive. So Base choice on cost.

Solution

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011