Intel Pentium processor E6700 how to overclock it

eleychristopher1

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I have an Intel E6700 in an Acer Aspire Z3731-UR21P running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The drive is 1TB with 4GB DDR3 memory. I want to overclock it a bit and still keep the stock cooler. About 4GHZ is fine...I don't want to fry the CPU, I just got the system. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You have somewhat unrealistic expectations of your processor. Also, there are two E6700s. The newer one is clocked at 3.2 GHz, while the older one is at 2.66 GHz.

If you've got the 3.2 GHz version, you can probably get 4 GHz out of it, but no way are you going to get there with the stock cooler. Intel's stock coolers are pretty awful.

If you've got the 2.66 GHz version (which I'm guessing you do), I'm sorry but you're not going to get that chip to 4 GHz. I have this chip, and it's only stable up to around 3.6 GHz using a good aftermarket cooler. I wouldn't expect much over 3 GHz with the stock cooler.

My recommendation would be to just try it and see how far you can push it. Keep an eye on your temperatures, they're going to be your biggest problem with the stock cooler. Keep your voltage within the limits Intel specifies (different for the two models of 6700), and stress test for 8 hours with Prime95 once you think you're stable.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Does your Acer mobo even have BIOS options for OCing? Most 'big box' companies don't include OC options.

I agree with willard too, that 4GHz on stock cooler is a no way. I'd bet 400MHz more on whichever version of the 6700 you have. (3.1 or 3.6GHz)

TRENDING THREADS