Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Mobo for this configuration

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 10, 2009 5:11:54 PM
November 10, 2009 5:24:50 PM

The 3H is a good motherboard. For $60 more you can get the 790FX-UD5P from Gigabyte. Its one of the best AM3 boards out there. The 3H isn't a bad motherboard but you should probably consider dishing out the extra $60 for the UD5P for its features.

If you not worried about maxing out your platform the 3H will do the job. Also keep in mind the Crossfire on the 3H is 16x8x.

Also MSI's AM3 flagship, the GD70 is $140 (or $150 can't remember which) with free shipping if you subscribe to Newegg's Newsletters!!!! Newegg will provide the promo code in the newsletter.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 10, 2009 5:29:50 PM

when you say its 16x8x... what does that mean

sorry
m
0
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 5:34:56 PM

cory1234 said:
You can save a few bucks with this:
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That motherboard is not compatible with the DDR3 RAM the OP picked.

What will the system be used for? Based on the 500W PSU, I'm guessing you're not trying to leave the option of crossfire open. In that case, here's a combo deal for the DDR3 version of the above motherboard and the Phenom II X3 720:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $193.99

The RAM you picked has a pretty slow CAS 9 rating. I would check out these CAS 7 kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The 640GB Black drive is nice, but you can get a slightly smaller faster drive for $20 less.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $54.99

What OS are you planning on using? I would suggest 64-bit Windows 7. Here's a combo for 64-bit Windows 7 and the Antec 900 you picked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 5:36:51 PM

In 16x8x Crossfire one card will work in full performance while the other card will be capped at a max limit of half its regulated bandwidth. Making it a capped Crossfire instead of Crossfire.

Keep in mind, even a full 16x16x Crossfire doesn't use 100% from both cards. But 16x16x Crossfire uses the most out of each card your motherboard needs during the Crossfire.

16x16x is somewhat overrated. I doubt you will see much of a difference with the 3H unless you plan on using an extremely high resolution or getting a 5800 series card in the future.
m
0
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 5:40:07 PM

Actually, there's no such thing as 16x8x crossfire. Any board that runs its second PCI-E slot at 8x will automatically drop the speed of the first slot to 8x when run in crossfire. They can't run at different speeds. Listing the slots as 16x and 8x is just a marketing ploy. The first card will never run at 16x speed on those boards when run in crossfire.
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 5:41:10 PM

BohleyK said:
In 16x8x Crossfire one card will work in full performance while the other card will be capped at a max limit of half its regulated bandwidth. Making it a capped Crossfire instead of Crossfire.

Keep in mind, even a full 16x16x Crossfire doesn't use 100% from both cards. But 16x16x Crossfire uses the most out of each card your motherboard needs during the Crossfire.

16x16x is somewhat overrated. I doubt you will see much of a difference with the 3H unless you plan on using an extremely high resolution or getting a 5800 series card in the future.



right on, i didnt realize that. and no... i dont plan on anything extreme... yet.

thanks for the info man
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 5:50:13 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Actually, there's no such thing as 16x8x crossfire. Any board that runs its second PCI-E slot at 8x will automatically drop the speed of the first slot to 8x when run in crossfire. Listing the slots as 16x and 8x is just a marketing ploy. The first card will never run at 16x speed on those boards when run in crossfire.



ok..... so does that mean that two cards will run at 50%?? wouldnt that be pointless, i know i probably dont understand completely.

im calling it a gaming/picture-video-music....... computer. haha

and that HDD looks great, i think ill go with it. i can always add a second in the future.

and as far as the ram being cas 7 and cas 9. i know youre referring to speed, but in what way?

and im getting windows 7 home through a college promotion for $30.. http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/Dis...

and i would like to crossfire later on..... with that which mobo would you say
i know ill probably need a 600w psu.... any recommendations. iv looked at the antec, corsair, and a couple others .

thank you
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 5:55:43 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
That motherboard is not compatible with the DDR3 RAM the OP picked.

What will the system be used for? Based on the 500W PSU, I'm guessing you're not trying to leave the option of crossfire open. In that case, here's a combo deal for the DDR3 version of the above motherboard and the Phenom II X3 720:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $193.99

The RAM you picked has a pretty slow CAS 9 rating. I would check out these CAS 7 kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The 640GB Black drive is nice, but you can get a slightly smaller faster drive for $20 less.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $54.99

What OS are you planning on using? I would suggest 64-bit Windows 7. Here's a combo for 64-bit Windows 7 and the Antec 900 you picked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


I know, I updated it a while ago.

Graphics cards today will be fine on x8...and you will not see any decrease in performance.
m
0
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 5:58:41 PM

No, 8x crossfire doesn't mean they run at 50%. The latest benchmarks show VERY little difference between 8x crossfire and 16x crossfire. Your 4870 GPU just went out of stock. I would get a 5770 instead. It offers very comparable performance while using much less energy and giving you DX11.

GIGABYTE GV-R577D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $174.99

The Antec EA650 will power crossfire 5770's. I would consider going with the Antec 300 Illusion so you can use this combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... (Antec EA650 + Antec 300 Illusion combo) $139.94

You could use the motherboard you originally planned on using, just be sure to use this combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 6:04:34 PM

FYI - Neither of those 785G boards support Crossfire.
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 6:07:27 PM

The 5770 is a good card..the only problem I have with it is that it performs worse than the 4870 up to 10% in some games.

What resolution is your monitor? You only see the real benefits of crossfire on higher resolutions.

The best value right now for dx11 cards is the 5850 IMO.
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 6:17:03 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
No, 8x crossfire doesn't mean they run at 50%. The latest benchmarks show VERY little difference between 8x crossfire and 16x crossfire. Your 4870 GPU just went out of stock. I would get a 5770 instead. It offers very comparable performance while using much less energy and giving you DX11.

GIGABYTE GV-R577D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $174.99

The Antec EA650 will power crossfire 5770's. I would consider going with the Antec 300 Illusion so you can use this combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... (Antec EA650 + Antec 300 Illusion combo) $139.94

You could use the motherboard you originally planned on using, just be sure to use this combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


first off... thank you.

as for the 5770.... even though i did like the 4870, it looks great. and like the lower power consumption. would gigabyte be your recommended manufacturer?

the antec 650w/300 case combo looks great... almost too great. are you sure its big enough.

and the 790gx/phenom combo looks good... but considering OC'ing and dual 5770s.. would the 790gx suffice.


m
0
l
November 10, 2009 6:21:30 PM

cory1234 said:
The 5770 is a good card..the only problem I have with it is that it performs worse than the 4870 up to 10% in some games.

What resolution is your monitor? You only see the real benefits of crossfire on higher resolutions.

The best value right now for dx11 cards is the 5850 IMO.


ill look into the 5850. i also liked the xfx 4870. but not if its obsolete. considering crossfire later on.

and this is the monitor i was planning on... well pretty much the best i can afford right now. i have an elderly sony vaio and thats it. so ill need everything. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 80 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 6:51:07 PM

breatheasy9er said:
first off... thank you.

as for the 5770.... even though i did like the 4870, it looks great. and like the lower power consumption. would gigabyte be your recommended manufacturer?

the antec 650w/300 case combo looks great... almost too great. are you sure its big enough.

and the 790gx/phenom combo looks good... but considering OC'ing and dual 5770s.. would the 790gx suffice.

I actually usually recommend XFX or Sapphire cards, but the 5770 stock is running low. It doesn't really matter much at this point anyway. All the manufacturer's are just using the reference 5770 and putting their sticker on it. The main difference is in warranty. XFX offers a double lifetime warranty which means that the GPU is covered by the second owner if you sell the card.

The Antec 300 would be big enough if you don't use a lot of hard drives.

The 790GX will work just fine for overclocking and 5770's.
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 7:21:20 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I actually usually recommend XFX or Sapphire cards, but the 5770 stock is running low. It doesn't really matter much at this point anyway. All the manufacturer's are just using the reference 5770 and putting their sticker on it. The main difference is in warranty. XFX offers a double lifetime warranty which means that the GPU is covered by the second owner if you sell the card.


what do you think about this, seems to be put together much better.... and is their extended warranty mandatory? -
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

or should i wait for these...... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i dont know when the sapphire will be in... and its not a juniper xt. if that matters much

too many options.....
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 8:28:41 PM

breatheasy9er said:
what do you think about this, seems to be put together much better.... and is their extended warranty mandatory? -
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

or should i wait for these...... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i dont know when the sapphire will be in... and its not a juniper xt. if that matters much

too many options.....

On the monitor...you can find a better deal if you wait...newegg's shellshocker earlier in the morning was an Acer 23inch (1920x1080) for $170.

I picked up a 23in dell with an hdmi port last month for $140.

Tirgerdirect's extended warranty is not mandatory, the manufacturers warranty should be fine.
m
0
l
November 10, 2009 9:26:35 PM

cory1234 said:
On the monitor...you can find a better deal if you wait...newegg's shellshocker earlier in the morning was an Acer 23inch (1920x1080) for $170.

I picked up a 23in dell with an hdmi port last month for $140.

Tirgerdirect's extended warranty is not mandatory, the manufacturers warranty should be fine.



ill look into the early morning sales. and yeah your dell was a hell of a deal.
thanks
m
0
l
November 11, 2009 12:01:16 AM

breatheasy9er said:
ill look into the early morning sales. and yeah your dell was a hell of a deal.
thanks


I saw this...thought you might be interested. It's for today only. I'm sure there will be better deals on black friday tho.
Dell S2409W 24 w/hdmi $179
Free shipping. Not sure, but you might able to use bing cashback as well.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...
m
0
l
November 11, 2009 7:07:12 PM

yeah, i wont have the money for a while any way. thanks though
m
0
l
!