Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Its a 750W antec true power, i5, one HD 5770 but getting another on christmas, 1 500gb hDD, 1 320 gb HDD and adding another on christmas.

I am looking to get the cheapest surge protector possible that can get the job done... any suggestions ?
I have no idea what to look for in this department.. : / Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
A very common misconception is that a cheap surge protector will do the same job as an expensive one.

If you can afford it, get a UPS. Don't ask me for advice (power is not my thing :( ). Read the UPS thread.

Or get a surge protector from a respected brand name like APC/belkin/Tripp Lite.

Good, but cheap surge protector: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107196

APC makes the best UPS's hands down. Powercom makes some good bang/buck ones. And you can sometimes find a decent one from another brand.

Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Thanks for the advice, what i meant by cheap was that i knew there had to be a range of good sure protectors and I wanted to know the least expensive one that would do a good job.

I am under the impression that a UPS is mainly if the power goes out and you want you computer to keep going for a certain amount of time. I have no use for that. I just care about my machine being safe is all. But at the same time I dont want my 1k system to get damaged for not spending an extra 10 or 20 dollars.

I like the one you recommended, has good reviews. Any others I should consider?