Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is overclocking worth it?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2012 11:31:36 PM

first as a side note when i installed the thermal paste i heard scratching sound because i was using a light metal thing that spreads the paste good but what was that noise? i did not use that much force at all just enough to spread as5

I have a 8120 but when i play bf3 at least 1-2 cores have like 80% load and at least 50% on every other core but is it worth the overclock? like i can get maybe from 3.1GHz-4Ghz with stock voltage which is 1.1875V like how much will my lifespan decrease? i don't use turbo core but i might need 1.22V for 4Ghz.

More about : overclocking worth

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 12:00:17 AM

Depends on the board, and about the thermal paste, what are your temps in prime 95? you are supposed to spread the thermal paste under the weight of the heatsink alone.

You don't want to spread the paste then put on the heatsink because you get air bubbles.

its not the end of the world but I mean its better to do it via the heatsink method. That said if your temps are fine then you can just play with overclocking via raising the multiplier a bit

obviously going to 4Ghz will most likely require a voltage bump.

and to your question about the decreasing life span. if you don't go over amds max proc voltage you should be fine for the next 3 years atleast.
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 12:22:34 AM

Overclocking (without overvolting) results in basically identical lifespan as long as temperatures are OK.

Watch out for temps and OC'ing will be free performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 2:00:01 AM

mouse24 said:
Depends on the board, and about the thermal paste, what are your temps in prime 95? you are supposed to spread the thermal paste under the weight of the heatsink alone.

You don't want to spread the paste then put on the heatsink because you get air bubbles.

its not the end of the world but I mean its better to do it via the heatsink method. That said if your temps are fine then you can just play with overclocking via raising the multiplier a bit

obviously going to 4Ghz will most likely require a voltage bump.

and to your question about the decreasing life span. if you don't go over amds max proc voltage you should be fine for the next 3 years atleast.

what about 6 years? my cpu is stable at stock voltage ay 3.8GHz
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 2:11:24 AM

Not OCing an 8120 is like throwing money away those chips are made to be OCed
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 2:13:52 AM

The only thing that hurts a cpu lifespan is voltage and temp. As long as your reasonable there is no reason it won't last. I had a athlon 3200+ for 5 years clocked at 2.4 ghz from stock of 2.0.

One thing overclocking might do is expose any weakness in the cpu before the warranty is up. Once its stable and running, should work fine for years.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 2:36:59 AM

mouse24 said:
Depends on the board, and about the thermal paste, what are your temps in prime 95? you are supposed to spread the thermal paste under the weight of the heatsink alone.

You don't want to spread the paste then put on the heatsink because you get air bubbles.

its not the end of the world but I mean its better to do it via the heatsink method. That said if your temps are fine then you can just play with overclocking via raising the multiplier a bit

obviously going to 4Ghz will most likely require a voltage bump.

and to your question about the decreasing life span. if you don't go over amds max proc voltage you should be fine for the next 3 years atleast.

about 45c when i tested it but my pc has been running a server for minecraft so me and someone can play but other then that one specific core is at like 90% load which is low performence
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 2:54:17 AM

melikepie said:
about 45c when i tested it but my pc has been running a server for minecraft so me and someone can play but other then that one specific core is at like 90% load which is low performence



I take it those are near idle temps?(since running a MC server isn't all that intensive :)  ) what cooler are you using and check the temps while running Prime95 for around 15 minutes?

Oh and what motherboard, some of them don't like to be overclocked.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 3:02:55 AM

mouse24 said:
I take it those are near idle temps?(since running a MC server isn't all that intensive :)  ) what cooler are you using and check the temps while running Prime95 for around 15 minutes?

Oh and what motherboard, some of them don't like to be overclocked.

well minecraft servers have bigger and bigger loads the more people traval and it has gotten to the point where it's taking 50% of my cpu up mainly my friend messes around with bombs and stuff so the load goes on my pc mainly since the server is ment for like 50+ poeple, it's not cpu intesive unless he's traveling everywhere and blowing thing up with nukes and what suck is that when a huge bomb goes off 1 or 2 of my threads get really high cpu uses so it depends what the server is dealing with but minecraft itself is not very well threaded beacause when it starts up it starts hogging a core for itself
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 3:16:20 AM

melikepie said:
well minecraft servers have bigger and bigger loads the more people traval and it has gotten to the point where it's taking 50% of my cpu up mainly my friend messes around with bombs and stuff so the load goes on my pc mainly since the server is ment for like 50+ poeple, it's not cpu intesive unless he's traveling everywhere and blowing thing up with nukes and what suck is that when a huge bomb goes off 1 or 2 of my threads get really high cpu uses so it depends what the server is dealing with but minecraft itself is not very well threaded beacause when it starts up it starts hogging a core for itself



Yeah but its not under 100% load all the time so the temps can get even higher then that when your doing intensive stuff.
m
0
l
!