Sign in with
Your question

Cannot get into BIOS!!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2010 9:17:11 PM

Hello,
I am in the process of installing a 500 GB SATA drive. I connected all of the wire and powered up my hard drive, held down the Delete key to get into my BIOS, but was not able too.My Mother board in an old Soyo P4VTP. Please help

More about : bios

a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 10:17:49 PM

Try unplugging the hard drive and see if BIOS shows up when the system is booted.
m
l
May 12, 2010 11:07:44 PM

Thank You Badge for the response. I did exactly what you advised earlier, but without result. Is there some back door way for me to get to my BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 11:19:16 PM

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Also, are you sure you are pressing the right button to get in to BIOS? For some, it's <F1> others >F2>,etc.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 11:41:20 PM

Try what shadow suggested (reset CMOS jumper, F1, F2 to enter BIOS). Note, all the hard drives would have to be unplugged including the drive with the OS installed if that is the case.
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:43:13 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Have you tried clearing CMOS? Also, are you sure you are pressing the right button to get in to BIOS? For some, it's <F1> others >F2>,etc.

Thank you shadow. I have been pressing F2 to get into the CMOS. I even pressed F1 as well but I can't even get into the CMOS. Any idea why?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2010 2:02:03 AM

Well, if you don't know how to reset the CMOS jumper, try taking the MB battery out for a half an hour. Can you list the sther system specs. including CPU, RAM and operating system. Was this computer running at desktop before you tried to install the SATA drive?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2010 2:30:08 AM

Is the system going through POST? Or are you just staring at a blank screen while hitting the key? I had to "learn" how to get into the BIOS on the last few Gigabyte boards I had. If you start tapping the key too soon during POST, the process just kind of skips you over and continues on with the POST operation. I finally, after hours of cussing learned on my boards to wait until right at the end of the memory test or count, then hit the delete key. Works every time.
m
l
May 13, 2010 5:39:56 AM

badge said:
Well, if you don't know how to reset the CMOS jumper, try taking the MB battery out for a half an hour. Can you list the sther system specs. including CPU, RAM and operating system. Was this computer running at desktop before you tried to install the SATA drive?

I have a Pentium 4 1.6 mhz cpu; 2 gb ram. There was no operating system installed due to this hard drive just being out of the box. Originally, I had a 80Gb hard drive installed, but this drive was shorted out due to a power surge. This is the reason for the new drive. I do remember a friend changing some things in the BIOS. Could this be a reason why I can not get in. When I first installed the drive, made the necessary connection, and powered the system up, it at least counted down memory. It did not however see the hard drive. I solicited my friends assistance because I did not have the manual to the mother board because the original system was built some 4 years back. I thought he was going in to enable the SATA ports. I guess I should have paid closer attention to what he did. I hope this helps.

I will remove the battery for a half an hour to see if this makes a difference.
m
l
May 13, 2010 5:41:22 AM

jitpublisher said:
Is the system going through POST? Or are you just staring at a blank screen while hitting the key? I had to "learn" how to get into the BIOS on the last few Gigabyte boards I had. If you start tapping the key too soon during POST, the process just kind of skips you over and continues on with the POST operation. I finally, after hours of cussing learned on my boards to wait until right at the end of the memory test or count, then hit the delete key. Works every time.

Staring at a blank screen while hitting the key!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 2:46:53 AM

Have you tried a PS2 keyboard?
m
l
!