Hard drive failure or other?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 26, 2005 1:00:29 PM

I have a AT&T Series 2 130040 activated in November of 2002 that is stuck
on the gray powering up screen- specifically "Welcome. Powering up..."

After 25 seconds I get a flicker/black screen then repeat of "Welcome.
Powering up..." freeze.

I have unplugged and replugged in the unit- no change.
I have tried replugging into a different electrical outlet minus the UPS
surge protection unit- no change.
I have disconnected the wired LinkSys adapter while trying all the above- no
change.

My other similar (but newer) unit is unaffected. They are hard wired for MRV
but not networked.
Both units got 7.2 update day before yesterday.

The defective unit has seen a couple of freezing up episodes both while
playing previously recorded programming *and* while viewing live TV. Reboots
always solved the problem.

I do not feel capable of opening this unit to connect to PC to test the hard
drive.
I am thinking of sending it to Weaknees for a hard drive replacement (and
space upgrade).

Is there any reason to suspect that this is not the hard drive gone bad?

Thanks!

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

More about : hard drive failure

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:27:40 PM

In article <VfSZe.7506$eB3.1511@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
"Toni" <Toni@nada.noway> wrote:

> I have a AT&T Series 2 130040 activated in November of 2002 that is stuck
> on the gray powering up screen- specifically "Welcome. Powering up..."
>
> After 25 seconds I get a flicker/black screen then repeat of "Welcome.
> Powering up..." freeze.
>
> I have unplugged and replugged in the unit- no change.
> I have tried replugging into a different electrical outlet minus the UPS
> surge protection unit- no change.
> I have disconnected the wired LinkSys adapter while trying all the above- no
> change.
>
> My other similar (but newer) unit is unaffected. They are hard wired for MRV
> but not networked.
> Both units got 7.2 update day before yesterday.
>
> The defective unit has seen a couple of freezing up episodes both while
> playing previously recorded programming *and* while viewing live TV. Reboots
> always solved the problem.
>
> I do not feel capable of opening this unit to connect to PC to test the hard
> drive.
> I am thinking of sending it to Weaknees for a hard drive replacement (and
> space upgrade).
>
> Is there any reason to suspect that this is not the hard drive gone bad?
>
> Thanks!

Likely time for a new Hard Drive.

Try turning the whole unit upside down (could redistribute Hard Drive
lubrication).

You can buy premade kits at www.weaknees.com, or for less if you know
your way around the inside of a PC, configure a new HD bought cheap at
BestBuy, Office Depot or where ever. A CD to do that is available for
$19.99 at PTVupgrade.com
September 26, 2005 5:57:00 PM

"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jackzwick->
> Likely time for a new Hard Drive.

Thank you, Jack.
I've shipped it to Weaknees as I am not comfortable opening it up.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com
September 26, 2005 10:13:43 PM

In article <VBWZe.311$ST1.236@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"Toni" <Toni@nada.noway> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jackzwick->
> > Likely time for a new Hard Drive.
> >

> Thank you, Jack.
> I've shipped it to Weaknees as I am not comfortable opening it up.

Weaknees is good folks, but it is going to cost you about $150 extra.
September 26, 2005 10:13:44 PM

"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jackzwick->
> Weaknees is good folks, but it is going to cost you about $150 extra.

Seems that is the price of being non computer savvy then.
As much as I am not made of money- I have broken enough things trying to fix
them that spending this is OK.
Sure beats sitting here trying to fix it then ending up having to send it in
anyway.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com
July 22, 2008 3:03:49 PM

I realize that it is NOW 3 years LATER, but my TOSHIBA SD-H400 Tivo unit is DOING THE EXACT SAME THING !!!
For the past few months it had been "freezing up", never while watching, but after sitting overnight or for few days of not using it would not "turn on" without unplugging/replugging the power cord. Or it would be "stuck" ON and have to be unplugged.
But a week or two ago, it just shows the "Powering Up" screen and after about a minute or so, REBOOTS itself and starts over again and again and again... !!!
I openened up the unit and can hear the hard drive doing "something" but it doesn't really "feel" like a hard-drive that is running full speed.
I also unplugged the POWER supply to the hard drive and tried powering up the unit, and it just sits at the "powering up" screen FOREVER... (this makes me think it is the hard drive).
SO, is IT ??
Did you get your hard drive replaced ??
Does it work ??
Did you get your shows of the old hard drive ??
HOW ??
etc. etc. etc....
!