Sign in with
Your question

Adaptec 2610sa Can\'t do RAID 5

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2011 3:33:13 PM

Dear Community,

I am trying to configure RAID 5 on the Adaptec 2610SA. No choices for 5, only RAID 0 and 1.

Please help.

Thanks,
Dino.

More about : adaptec 2610sa raid

a c 302 G Storage
October 5, 2011 3:38:40 PM

How many drives do you have? 0 and 1 can make use of two drives, 5 requires a minimum of 3, 6 a minimum of 4. And the minimums don't provide great performance.
m
l
October 10, 2011 11:54:13 PM

Hi WyomingKnot,

I have 4 drives mounted. I just purchsed an additional 2 drives, but I wanted RAID 5, not 0 or 1 for my RAID.

Thanks,
Dinodls.
m
l
Related resources
a c 302 G Storage
October 11, 2011 1:17:36 PM

Well, I always try to get the trivial questions out of the way first. I would have suggested Adaptec support, but that part is one of the HP-custom parts that's only supported by HP and meant for their server line - I own several pieces like that myself, and they are a bit of a pain to work with.

Never used that card myself, so all I could do is Google for forums. I see more mentions of Dell than HP for this card - maybe it's a generic OEM card? There are some links here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-177... .

Finally, from what I've seen it doesn't do parity in hardware, but passes it off on to your cpu. You might be better of building two RAID-1 volumes and combining them with RAID0, making four drives in RAID 1+0 or 0+1; I always forget which way it goes.

Sorry I can't answer the original question.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2011 9:01:01 PM

If the controller supports RAID5, then you should see the option of raid5 when there are THREE or more HDD available to configure.

My guess is your existing 2x HDD was set as a raid, therefore the controller sees only TWO drives and it gives you the option of RAID0/1

If that is the case.
Delete the raid then you should be able to create a RAID5
m
l
a b G Storage
October 13, 2011 12:46:34 AM

what size drives?
if I remember right that adapter only supports max 1tb hdd's and 2tb volumes.

64MB Cache?

(I cheated and googled so I think I remembered correctly)
m
l
October 16, 2011 10:10:59 PM

FireWire2 said:
If the controller supports RAID5, then you should see the option of raid5 when there are THREE or more HDD available to configure.

My guess is your existing 2x HDD was set as a raid, therefore the controller sees only TWO drives and it gives you the option of RAID0/1

If that is the case.
Delete the raid then you should be able to create a RAID5

Hi,

I think you are correct. I am currently out of the state, and cannot get to my office. I am building a FreeNAS NAS. I'll let you know how I fared.

Thanks,
Dinodls.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 24, 2011 8:23:26 PM

I have been used FreeNAS over 2yrs, love it...

I have customize for my client a 40TB, where mine is 10TB only. All the RAID in the FreeNAS are Hardware raid.
i was able to transfer file to server (freenas) over 70MB/sec
m
l
!