Running a 300 watt video card card on a 280 watt psu?

coolmj1120

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hey all, I'm pretty new to adding Hardware to a PC. After looking at everything, I found myself handcuffed with a 280 watt Acbel Power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162067&cm_re=gt_430-_-14-162-067-_-Product

Please please I need a very good answer. I'm thinking about buying it without buying a new power supply.

I'm going to do a lot gaming (mw2, crysis) on low-to medium settings . I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre K300-53162FU. No extra hard drives or anything.

My CPU is a Intel® Pentium® Processor E5700 (2M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) That uses 65 watts under full load. (I think that's pretty low for it's great performance)

I have 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM = 4GB RAM - I did some research at it takes about 7-10 watts all together

I have a supermulti DVD drive that takes 25-35 watts during full load (such as burning)

I have an average pc case (not slim) with a fan about 3 watts

Adding like 5 LED's will add about 5 watts I guess..

I got one hard drive but I don't know the specs.. I heard the average wattage they use was about 10-15 on today's PC's.

Now adding a graphics card that uses 49 watts under full load.. Will it work? I'm planning on buying it without buying a new power supply. Please help.

@coolmj1120 you haven't accounted for the motherboard's own power consumption, the CPU cooling fan's power consumption and any attached USB devices that obtain any of their power from the USB bus.

You may have listed the wattages but you didn't specify which voltage rails the power is coming from.