Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard wont find hard drive

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2010 10:25:20 PM

hello i was a ASUS M4A89GTD motherboard and a samsung F3 1TB both work fine but the motherboard wont detect my hard drive it doesnt show in bio and doesnt show when i insert my windows 7 disc which is a pain as cannot install windows untill i find a fix for it does anyone know if a fix has been released or will i have to buy another hard drive to install my OS on?

found one fix but doesnt seem to do anything
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...

not sure if im doing something wrong.

More about : motherboard wont find hard drive

May 12, 2010 11:05:32 PM

Try the using a jumper to limit the cable (BUS) speed to 1.5G as seen here. Good luck...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2010 11:09:07 PM

robert_21 said:
hello i was a ASUS M4A89GTD motherboard and a samsung F3 1TB both work fine but the motherboard wont detect my hard drive it doesnt show in bio and doesnt show when i insert my windows 7 disc which is a pain as cannot install windows untill i find a fix for it does anyone know if a fix has been released or will i have to buy another hard drive to install my OS on?

found one fix but doesnt seem to do anything
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...

not sure if im doing something wrong.

I'm assuming both the MB & HDD are new and unproven. You will need to try a known good HDD to see if it's detected. Try a different SATA cable and different SATA ports. Are you using the proper power cable for the HDD. Some HDDs need -5V and some cables don't supply it.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2010 6:48:30 AM

tried diff hard drive and works fine motherboard finds it, tried my F3 in a diff comp shows up fine, tried the jumper no effect.

am really stuck here looks like i will have to get a different hard drive to put windows onto and then try and fix it after that?
m
l
May 13, 2010 6:40:57 PM

just tried the tools sadley it doesnt find my hard drive due to mother board not seeing it completely lost with this one.
m
l
May 13, 2010 7:41:19 PM

think ive solved it if its right was really simple went into bios>storage configeration> changed the speed to 3gbs instead of 6gbs and poof my hard drive appeared, will let you know if this is a def fix for anyone else who has same problem.
m
l
!