Hello, 2 days ago I a new pc

Quote:

amd phenom II x4 965 black edition
gigabyte ga-770-p55
4gb ddr2 800 mhz g.skill pi black
force 3d ATi 5870
500gb
antec 300

I installed windows 7 64bit, the new catalyst version, dx10, and some more regular programs like hwmonitor and steam etc..
I ran crysis on 1920x1200, x4 aa, dunno how to set AP, all very high.
got about 30~40 fps in first scenes untill I got to "first light" (or something like that, where you see a huge land zone near the gps distruptor), after few seconds I got a crash.
The crash didn't sent me to desktop or something but it was a frozen pc, keyboard didn't respond, black screen, and small loop of sound from the speakers (buzz).
I had to do a manual restart. I tried some other lower settings like 1280x1024 no aa, high.
and after a while I still got a crash although it took more time untill it happend.
But now I see vertical stripes instead of a black screen.
I tried other games like left 4 dead 2 demo and team fortress 2 and I still got a crash in both, same crash like every time and it happend a couple of times.

today I bought 2 more case fans and it goes like this the upper one takes air out, read takes air out, the one on the left door takes air in and the front one takes air in also.
I started crysis on 1280x1024 no aa, all very high and after a while I still got a crash.
I don't remember exact temps but I checks few times and they were higher then 70cº..
and these are not the temps when it crashes because can't check the temps when it crashes (or is there a save function every couple of seconds? (please tell me, and which program).

It really annoys me that I can't even play a simple game like team fortress 2 (this card should run it like a piece of cake on Maxed out graphics).

I didn't do any OC or what so every, only set the gpu fan speed to 45% because the automatic functions usually sets it on lower like 25%-30% = faster crash.
btw IDLE temps are about 34cº and I do not have any special extra cooling but those 2 case fans.

I saw some other threads with people having the EXACT same problem, I don't mind changing my OS back to xp if you say it will solve the problem although I prefer trying other things before I do that ;) 
I don't know what to do and I am hopeless, please help :( 
thanks!

More about : ati 5870 overheating

November 17, 2009 6:14:31 PM

This is not a Windows7 issue, no need to switch back to XP.

sbhk1 said:
I didn't do any OC or what so every, only set the gpu fan speed to 45% because the automatic functions usually sets it on lower like 25%-30% = faster crash.
btw IDLE temps are about 34cº and I do not have any special extra cooling but those 2 case fans.
Set the gpu fan speed to at least 80% and re-run your benchmarks. My guess would be that your machine will not freeze. If it still does even after manually increasing the fan speed, then extra case fans and better case ventilation will be necessary; although 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans as you described should be sufficient.

Before and after each gaming session I go into the Catalyst Control Center and manually change the fan speed from 40% when not gaming to 85% for gaming. This has stopped my machine from artifacting, freezing, and/or rebooting when I quit out of the game.

Good luck!
November 17, 2009 7:51:48 PM

9.11 is out now. Give them a try and tell us if it helps.
Related resources
November 25, 2009 11:57:44 AM

My HD 5870 also seems to be overheating. When playing NFS shift the pc just shuts down completely. I have to turn all the power off and then only I can switch it back on.

After that happened whenever I play a game with high graphic requirements, the pc just shuts down after a few minutes.
November 25, 2009 12:03:50 PM

^^that sounds more like a psu issue... if it was graphics overheating you would likely get artifacts before crashing
November 26, 2009 12:10:31 AM

daym, all that money spent and nothing but heat....

sweep out the drivers and reinstall an older one 9.9 or 9.10, then raise the fan speed manually to 65% and test again....
November 26, 2009 4:10:13 AM

Well, so far I have replaced the PSU and believe it or not also the GPU.

After I replaced the GPU I could play any game for hours without any problems. Until it got too hot again. The PC just turned off. I opened my box, touched the card, and it burnt me because of the high temperature.

After that happened the PC again turned off in most of my games even with the fan speed at 100% right after the PC got turned on. According to CCC my temperature is at 50 degrees. In other words, it isn't to hot, but still turns off.

All I can think is that after it overheated something went wrong in the card and now it turns off even if it only gets a small amount off stress.

Games I can play:

- DotA, Warcraft III
- Word of Warcraft

Games I can't play:

- Need For Speed Shift
- Crysis
- Heroes of Newerth

I could play all of the above mentioned games for hours after replacing the card, until it overheated during the day (It was hot. I live in South Africa) after that happened, all of the games I can't play caused my PC to completely shutdown after the intro loading screen.

Can my motherboard maybe cause this? My old GFx card died because it got too hot. That when I bought the 5870.

November 29, 2009 11:08:22 PM

50C is fine. They should be able to do up to 90-100C, at least the 4800's could. What is your replacement PSU? Also, use HWMonitor to check other component temps.
November 30, 2009 9:50:50 PM

I am having the same problem as Vitality, on 2 different PCs, both using the Radeon 5870...same model as soldier37 showed in his pics.

Seems like everything is fine until the Video card hits around 84C, then my PC shuts down. I can only power it back on if I let it sit for over 30 minutes, or i I pull the power, then replug. If I start it immediately using that method, then as soon as I exit the BIOS or it finishes POST, the GPU fan sounds like it hits 100%, up until the Windows drivers load.

It definitely seems to be the video card...nothing else in my system, including the CPU ever hit anything higher than 54C. I even tried installing an air conditioner, which makes everything else run cooler...no higher than 42C for the CPU, but the Radeon card still shuts down after reaching 84C.

Any ideas? 2 different PCs here, and same problem.
November 30, 2009 10:32:56 PM

Even if you turn your fan speeds up, it hits 84C?
November 30, 2009 10:39:24 PM

yazston said:
I am having the same problem as Vitality, on 2 different PCs, both using the Radeon 5870...same model as soldier37 showed in his pics.

Seems like everything is fine until the Video card hits around 84C, then my PC shuts down. I can only power it back on if I let it sit for over 30 minutes, or i I pull the power, then replug. If I start it immediately using that method, then as soon as I exit the BIOS or it finishes POST, the GPU fan sounds like it hits 100%, up until the Windows drivers load.

It definitely seems to be the video card...nothing else in my system, including the CPU ever hit anything higher than 54C. I even tried installing an air conditioner, which makes everything else run cooler...no higher than 42C for the CPU, but the Radeon card still shuts down after reaching 84C.

Any ideas? 2 different PCs here, and same problem.

^^Exactly what EXT64 said, do you both manually set the fan speed or just leave it on "auto"?
December 1, 2009 2:24:02 AM

Actually, I've had a chance to play around with it tonight, and I found some interesting things:

1) If I turn off all of the CCC "extras", like the Catalyst A.I. and such, I can get the Activity down to around 81%, as opposed to 98% when running Civ4 at max settings while windowed...this slowed the heating dramatically, but it looked as if it might still overheat.

2) Underclocking the GPU and Memory does very little for the heat issue, though, I do not notice a hit on performance, all the way to the CCC minimums.

3) By increasing fan speed to 50% manually, I can get the temp to hold stable at around 77C...69C with my new AC unit working. I would think this would be enough.

4) After all this, I ran Civ4, Windowed for about 20 minutes, with the Temp stable at around 69C, and my PC STILL shut down in the same fashion. Now, while I believe the heat is an issue, it is obviously now not THE issue. SO, I ordered a new Corsair 850W Pro PS...I see it is highly rated, and an increase of 200W, just in case. I am wondering now if there may not be an odd voltage somewhere along the line, or a sudden spike in the PS causing the shutdown issue, with the overheating just being a red herring. We'll see with the new PS, which should run cooler anyway.

I still find it odd that I can't run the card with max settings or on auto fan speed without taking the chance of overheating. I can't honestly say that my case couldn't use more open space or ventilation, but with the fans inside and the AC unit, along with the fact that the ambient temp inside stays below 40C, even without the AC on, I find it disturbing that the Radeon 5870 overheats so badly...all the reviews I read, including ones on this site, mentioned that they actually ran cooler than most comparable GPUs.
December 1, 2009 2:28:02 AM

Well, if it is still restarting, overheating may no be an issue at all. The old 4800s used to be able to take really high temps, but maybe the new 40nm process cannot.
December 1, 2009 2:32:35 AM

I hope that's the case...if it's the PS in my case, then hopefully there is no damage done by the shutdowns. I've been kinda chompin' at the bit tryin to figure this one out, since I'm very wary of overheating damage, especially to components I spent $400 on. ;) 
December 1, 2009 2:35:07 AM

Yeah, hopefully that is the fix. Worst case though you got a really good PSU out of this mess. Is that one of the Corsair HX PSUs?
December 1, 2009 2:41:42 AM

yep, CMPSU-850HX...cost half as much as the 5870, but it looks quite good...I like the modular thinking there and sheer amount of connections you can have. Can't go wrong with Corsair products, and definitely can't go wrong with a PS with a 7 year warranty. ;) 

I'll probably have new PCs before that warranty's done! ;) 
December 1, 2009 2:43:18 AM

Yeah, I got the 650HX (same basic design). Haven't tried it out yet, but build quality certainly looks excellent.
December 1, 2009 11:01:28 AM

My PC is currently being looked at by store I bought the card from.

I have a 750watt, 4 x 12volt rails, 60A PSU. As far as I know, it's more than enough for the 5870.

I find this problem very weird. The people testing my PC at the moment can't get it to shutdown like it does with me. I still think it gets too hot. Because the night before it started to shutdown again (this is after I got my card replaced) I played NFS Shift for like 3 hours without any problems. Before I couldn't even get past the loading screen. The following day I didn't even play for an hour and it shutdown.

It's only after it shutdown for the first time with the new card that it started doing it even if the card temp was low. At about 60-69 degrees.

I must add my room temperature is really high. Also thinking to install an AC. My mobo and CPU temps are also normal. Only the 5870 getting really hot.

Is there anyway that his can be caused by my motherboard? My previous GFx card died due to overheating.

Hopefully the computer store can tell my what the problem is. At this stage I'm clueless. I'll post what my problem was a soon as I find out.
December 1, 2009 6:04:03 PM

get a some big head phones (preferably those from quality names) and set your fanspeed to 100%.

problem solved.
Anonymous
January 25, 2010 4:57:00 PM

i have same problem pc restart after some mins play at 1920x1280 res using default cd drivers any1 know a good cooling system for this card?
February 3, 2010 7:24:55 PM

i had the same problem, i determined that the fan on the gfx card wasn't spinning at all. wasn't burned out, just had to reseat the card better and problem was solved.
February 3, 2010 8:14:22 PM

That's always a good first step (taking everything out and putting it back together). It is amazing how often that does help.
February 5, 2010 1:36:59 PM

I have 2 5850's (overclocked to 5870 speeds) and I HAVE to run the fans at 70% or more while gaming to keep the temps at 78C. The 5870 has slightly better cooling than the 5850 but it also draws more power. GPUz does report the temps in other areas of the card - so dont focus on just the GPU.

Have you tried playing with the side of the case off? I had to use Speedfan to increase my case fans speed to decrease the case temp's. You may not be able to get away with default fan speeds - if the case isnt top notch. Personally I find that motherboards are too conservative in ramping up the case fans when one is gaming.
February 5, 2010 1:40:46 PM

nm, nothing to add, hah
February 5, 2010 6:35:46 PM

I didn't read it, I experienced it. My 4850 (with a slightly clogged single slot cooler) got up to nearly 110C without crashing (It was in SH4, which has defective AA which really stresses the card). Now, as to whether it would last years like that I am not sure, but as of last month (when it was replaced by my 5850) it still worked great.
February 5, 2010 11:09:29 PM

Switch your PCI-e 6-pin connectors. I did this on mine and the heat was gone.
August 11, 2010 9:58:01 PM

Solved the problem? if not Try removing the ccc and drivers. This happened to me also 1 week ago and everything was fine until i installed the drivers, the everything was shutting down. From youtube to any 3D programs. The i take it in service and they just reinstalled the drivers and installed new ones o.O AND I DID THIS LIKE 10 TIMES -.- So try doing this in Safe mode.
August 11, 2010 10:00:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!