SATA 300 & 600 in conjunction with Intel Smart Response

CurseUppl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hey guys,

It's difficult to Google my question because it yields so many unrelated results, so here it is:

I'm getting an Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z RoG, with the Z68 chipset and Intel Smart Response Technology. Right, so the mobo is capable of 4x SATA 300 in RAID and 2x SATA 600 in RAID.

What I want to do is stick 4 500 GB HDDs in RAID 0 on the SATA 300 line. Logically, this should give me quadruple read/write speed.

But I also want to utilise SRT by using a SATA 600 capable 60 GB SSD. So, my question is, can I stick the SSD on the SATA 600 line and use it in conjunction with the SATA 300 HDDs as a cache? It would seem rather silly if I couldn't, as using an SSD on a SATA 300 is wasting its full potential (or so I believe), as well as downgrading my RAID 0 potential to 3 500 GB HDDs and then the 60 GB SSD.

And, if it turns out I can't do what I asked, should I just drop the SSD and use 4 500 GB HDDs in RAID 0 as my primary drive and then forget completely about the SSD and SRT?

Thanks in advance!

You need 1 SSD & 1 HDD to utilize Intel SRT. The SSD is the cache and the HDD is where the O/S is installed. So, the 2 drives working together will be your "C:" drive.
Connect both drives to the Intel 6Gb/s ports and then follow your motherboard manual instructions on how to create a SRT drive.

Once you get the SRT drive up and running then you can connect the remaining 3 HDDs to the Intel 3Gb/s ports and create a RAID-0 array. Of course if you want a 4 drive array you would have to purchase an additional drive.

CurseUppl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Thank you for your response. You're basically saying I can't combine 4 SATA 300 drives and a SATA 600 SSD (5 total) into a single drive using SRT.

Do you know if the 4 SATA 300 HDDs in RAID 0 will perform better than the 1 SSD + HDD SRT combo?

Correct.

I'm not 100% positive but I pretty sure that the 4 drive RAID-0 would perform better.

CurseUppl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Indeed and thank you. I will be having a few HDDs in the TB range as general storage and back up, so your advice will be heeded :)