When connecting computer to TV, it doesn't fill the whole screen.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey Guys,

I connected my computer to the tv today and the display on the screen isn't full screen. The resolution was something like 1370x720 or something. I don't remember exactly what it was, but that was the max resolution. I connected the computer to the TV using a regular VGA type cable. Could that be the issue? Does the regular VGA cable limit resolution and screen size?

I also have a nvidia 9500gt if that makes any difference.

Should I get some DVI cables to connect it to the TV?

Also, should I get DVI cables anyways when connecting to my computer monitor? Right now I have a pretty crappy monitor that only gives 1680x1050 60Hertz max resolution and I'm using a VGA cable with 1 ended connected to a DVI adapter to fit my video card. Should I just get DVI cables to connect it? Would it make a difference in image quality?

Thanks in advance.

TOC

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
1. Buy HDMI cable, you will have better quality + sound
2. Download latest Software/Drivers for your card and in the software you should have an option to change your resolution. I have ATI video card and I use same 1680x1050 @ 60Hz in Cone Mode for Monitor and TV.
3. In the software for your video card you should have an option to enable GPU scaling to have full image

Like I said I have ATI video card, so I can't tell you step by step, but using HDMI cable you can have Video and Audio from same cable and better quality.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Would it be possible to get HDMI cables and add DVI dongols to the ends? My computer monitor and video card only have DVI connections.

I just purchased a new DVI cable. I'll connect it tomorrow to see if the resolution is better.

So you have no idea how old the TV is and yet you think it has HDMI regardless? and if the Video card does not have HDMI what then?

TRENDING THREADS