Odd speed reading and Prime95 lock-up v. 2

Keano10

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Hiya folks. I'm having this problem that's brought me out of lurking. :hello:

After several pages on Tweaktown and Tom's, all it took for me was to google "134.9 + i7 930", and I came across this particular thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273675-30-speed-reading-prime95-lockups-reboot

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, F2 BIOS
CPU: i7-930
Ram: Corsair XMS3 6gb (3 x 2gb), 1600 mhz CL7 with default BIOS setting 1066 mhz, CL 8-8-8-20 @ 1.5v
PSU: Corsair TX-750
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD5850
HSF: CM Hyper 212+
Boot drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB

I've had this build up and running for about three weeks now, and it passed Prime95 for about 6 hours then, as well as run of memtest. I have majority of the settings on default/auto with EIST and C-states disabled, Hyperthreading disabled, and Turbo-boost enabled. In the BIOS and on CPU-Z it showed 133 mhz x 22 on load with relatively normal temperatures and voltages.

Current problem at hand - last night, I noticed on CPU-Z that it was now reading 134.9 mhz baseclock, a la that other thread. I can't backtrack to determine how long it's been like this, and what exactly triggered it.

I ran Prime95 again and much to my surprise, it completely locked up the computer after about 20 minutes on blend test; no BSOD, no reboot, no nothing.

I've tried swapping out the PSU and GPU (have not rotated memory sticks/slots yet). I even tried re-seating the CPU, but it still had the same result.

At this point, I feel even more lost than I was before. That thread above wasn't exactly solved from the looks of it, especially on the 134.9 bclk bit, and Prime95 issue seemed to be more about him having 6 sticks of ram as opposed to 3 in my case.

Any comments and suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!