Types of CPU's vs their strong points

kylelively

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
My teacher just asked the class to research to what CPU's go with what app's. Either it be running anything from mozilla to intense video rendering apps, even to modern gaming.

Quad Core --- Video editing
Dual Core --- Gaming
Quad Core --- Everday Apps (Mozilla)

Corrections or comments, go! :bounce:

Solution

well, for everyday app. a dual core will be more than enough as more apps still dont use 4 or 3 cores yet. maybe a few years down the road apps will use quad cores.

For gaming, i would actually have to say go to a tri core cpu (like phenom II x3 720). Yes most games only use 2 core, although that extra third core can be use for background task, OS, drivers, ect. This will make more breathing room for the 2 core that you are use...

well, for everyday app. a dual core will be more than enough as more apps still dont use 4 or 3 cores yet. maybe a few years down the road apps will use quad cores.

For gaming, i would actually have to say go to a tri core cpu (like phenom II x3 720). Yes most games only use 2 core, although that extra third core can be use for background task, OS, drivers, ect. This will make more breathing room for the 2 core that you are use for the game.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=97

Phenom II x3 720 @ 2.8 Ghz vs phenom II x2 550 @ 3.1 GHz

Video editing, rendering, cad, ect. you certainly got it. quad core are the best for those tasks.

Solution