dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Just built my first rig about a month ago. Wanted to run it a little while while I read up on overclocking, which is something I'd never done before. Anyways, downloaded CPUID Temp monitor, and I run it whenever I play games just to keep an eye on things while gaming, since at times I tend to play for hours.

Over the past month, I've watched, and mentally recorded the average temps for my CPU/GPU's, and wanted to make sure that these are good safe operating temps.

First, the specs:
i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Gigabyte Z68A
CM Hyper EVO
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (w/heat spreaders)
XFX 80+ Platinum 1000W PSU
EVGA GTX 560 TI (448 Core/Classified) SLI (x2 Way)

The case is the In Win Dragon Rider (about 75% steel mesh), exporting air with 3 120mm fans (not counting cpu cooler), and importing air with 2 120mm fans and a 220mm fan.

Before Overclock @ 3.4ghz (Average):

CPU (Idle): High 20's to Mid 30's Celsuis.
CPU (Gaming): Low 40's to High 40's Celsius.

GPU's (x2, Idle): Low 30's to Low 40's Celsius.
GPU's (x2, Gaming): High 50's to High 60's Celsius.

After Overclocking to 4.4ghz (Average):

CPU (Idle): Low 30's to Low 40's Celsius.
CPU (Gaming): Mid 40's to Mid 50's Celsius.

GPU's are the same (didn't adjust them).

These temps are generally from playing games like Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc. on max settings for hours at a time.

Do these temps look okay for that set-up? For my first system, I'm somewhat new to most of this, especially when overclocking, and want to make sure I've got everything covered before I build another one later on in the year.

dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I've read a little bit about burn tests. To be honest though, they kind of frighten me from the sound of it. Probably because I have no clue how to utilize them. Is it something that's recommended for first time overclocking? Would using a burn test potentially fry my pc? I pretty much only use this pc for gaming/netflix/blu-ray/internet, so would a burn test even be needed if my temps are only that high during gaming? Sorry for all the questions =\.

Well eventually your going to run into a game that maxes your cpu, so you should know what the temps are going to be like when your cpu is at 100%, then you can get additional cooling or downclock the cpu.

Try Intel burn test, have cpu id hw monitor (google it) running in the background. It will record your min/max temps during the entire session it's open. You can check whle it's running, if the temps hit 75c, stop the test immediately. No damage will be done by doing this.

dhakon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
[strike]Might as well give it a shot, already have that monitor as well. Is there a length of time I should run the test for, or is the test itself on a timer?[/strike]

***Edit: Ran version 2.53, 5 times, on Standard, in 64 bit, w/ all threads. Temps averaged between low 50's, up to 60-61 Celsius. Complete test after 90+ seconds stating stability was fine.

So I guess my question is, should I leave it at that, or test on a higher stress level in the next few days?