Solved

4 Loops of water cooling or am I just Loopy

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 29, 2012 5:41:57 PM

While I admit my name may not be H20-CPU I have done many water cooled computer, every time I have added an additional for lack of a better term (heat source) Chipset cooler, video card cooler hard drive cooler I have noticed an overall rise in system temperature, be it from an increase in heat or a decrees in water flow the rise was there. I started back when we used Aquarium Pumps, Tubing from Home Base and Old heater cores to cobble together a system.
I am spending a lot of money on this system I want it to be my Magnum Opus to that end I have designed a system for maximum cooling without resorting to Phase change
(Like I said in my other (now closed thread) I am having issues deciding if I should build it or have it build by Digital Storm the cost is pretty much a wash the only real difference is DS will use a TEC system to get the CPU below ambient temp and water for the video cards I would be using a huge water system and DS has a warrantee. I am open to the option of changing parts and always open to suggestions but without some hard facts I do not think even a single any single radiator system would function as well as what I have designed and wouldn’t be anywhere near as configurable (with four loops all with variable pumps and fans I can find tune it for exactly what I want.)

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : loops water cooling loopy

a c 333 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 6:03:34 PM

That's far more radiator space than you'll need for each of those components and overall, although it would help to know what GPUs and CPU you are running, along with intended clock speeds of each.

What budget are you looking at, specifically from a watercooling aspect?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 6:08:11 PM

unless you can space your video cards 3 slots apart, you can't get hoses attached separatly as the space between the cards has to be a minimum as wide as your 90 elbow if you went straight up, then 90 again to get the hoses the right direction.

Even chaining them together you have to have the short barbs or the connector. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/koduvidcobla.html

and 4 d5 pumps ... thats more than my entire cpu + dual gpu loop.

m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 6:10:27 PM

rubix_1011 said:
That's far more radiator space than you'll need for each of those components and overall, although it would help to know what GPUs and CPU you are running, along with intended clock speeds of each.

What budget are you looking at, specifically from a watercooling aspect?

The case Water Loops and Fans are a tad over 2k

Motherboard is EVGA X79 Classified

VIdeo cards were going to be EVGA 580 GTX HC but I will be waiting for the 680gtx HC to come out next month.
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 6:17:11 PM

Can you list GPUs, CPU and intended clock speeds of each? Is there are a need to WC your MB, or is it mainly want?
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:21:40 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Can you list GPUs, CPU and intended clock speeds of each? Is there are a need to WC your MB, or is it mainly want?

I don't need to WC my system I just want it as for how much OC I will do that depends on what I can get out of it once it is built
I plan on using a i7-3960X CPU.

5GHZ would be great but 4.2 to 4.5GHZ is more likely.
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 6:24:28 PM

Well, to calculate what you'd need, we'd need to know the GPUs and if they are overclocked or not, and if you are planning on using TEC's, what specs as they will need to be cooled as well.
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:33:54 PM

I openly admit I am a Computer Geek I am a tech-no freak for crying ouyt loud no game on the planet could max out the video cards I am getting and I want to OC them anyways, I have LTO-5 to back up my system I have a Raised Floor in my Office for wiring and Sever based Storage, I spent as much on my office as I did my car (which E6600 and 9" touch screen running streetdeck as a radio. This system will run 5760x1080 3 (23" displays)
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:42:50 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Well, to calculate what you'd need, we'd need to know the GPUs and if they are overclocked or not, and if you are planning on using TEC's, what specs as they will need to be cooled as well.

3 GTX680 Hydro Copper (once they come out)

I want more cooling then I need so I can run the fans at slower speed and the only sound I want to hear it my wife screaming when she sees the power bill :) 
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:56:19 PM

A 480 55mm rad for just CPU and chipset seems a bit excessive, and so does 3x 360x55 for the GPU's really. On the other hand, if you just like throwing money at your computer for one reason or another, you might as well get what you can fit. What case are you planning to squeeze this into? something from Caselabs?
I would love to see some documentation of whatever you end up with.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 7:04:45 PM

beleezebub - we all understand how teck-no freak you really are :p 

ok:
the mobo doesn't really need to be watercooled, its the CPU and GPU that are vital although the chipset/mobo can be cooled as a "want to option"

TDP of the hardware together like the heat output of those parts. The 680 HC's from EVGA come in two makes, classified and i think a classified ultra - so teh TDP will vary significantly+ they have a dif/higher power delivery system, so an overclock will also mean higher heat output.

Please also read the sticky in the watercooling section as it teaches most newcomers on how to calculate the TDP+raddage requirement.

I personally condemn the H series of coolers from corsair or any LCS from any manufacturer. When you'll find out how much heat a part spits out, you'll understand that a 120mm rad isn't what you need at all. With that covered, we can now address the TEC's. TEC's have a heat output of their own as well, you know what i'm talking about...it generates a hot side and the other side has a cold side generated in turn (in laymen terms). If you can't cool the hot side fast enough or even well enough, you'll end up having results no better than a Hyper 212 with no fans.

DS seem to offer all the cooling out of just one 360 rad in a silverstone case(i know cos the same case design/distribution rights were sold to HP and they are built in limited quantities)

My initial idea was to get TEC after i saw what DS did with their first lineup of below ambient cooling.

than you have the hassle of using cooling gel instead of TIM and also insulation otherwise you risk condensation - correct me if i'm wrong.

So to add, TEC heatpoutput+ cpu OC' heat output and the GPU's.
If you want to nail the TDP of those HC's give EVGA a knock and post a feedback :) 

sorry for the long and useless post.
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:06:12 PM

What is your cooling goal? What temperaatures do the different pieces of equipment run at and what temperatures do you want them to run at when your cooling system is installed?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 10:09:33 PM

belezeebub said:
3 GTX680 Hydro Copper (once they come out)

I want more cooling then I need so I can run the fans at slower speed and the only sound I want to hear it my wife screaming when she sees the power bill :) 

Might as well go big
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 29, 2012 10:13:41 PM

[:lutfij:2] ^ that'll drown out wifes sound.

m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 10:40:22 AM

I wondered where my old project got to :-)
/can't believe they painted it yellow.....
Personally I think four loops is a bit heavy, one massive loop would be my plan
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 11:25:46 AM

4 loops is insane, not even needed
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 3:36:58 PM

CPU, MB and 3-way GPUs are common in a single loop.

I doubt OP needs Peltiers on any components, but that's really up to him. Regardless, it's essential to know if he is, as that plays heavily into the delta of the entire loop. Most TEC's will pull and dump ~90-150 watts.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 10:20:14 PM

dude, 4 loops I like where you are going with. this I have used TEK pads in the past and if you're looking to over clock that is definitely the way to go. but understand the cost will be comparable to phase change in the end, and the results will not be as grand. on the plus side it will last longer, keep in mind that TEK pads require a high level of modifying ability to get it right. but definitely doable look at the swiftech 60 vga block on top of a TEK pad for your video cards. you will have to build plates to attach all of this stuff, but I know it will work, as long as you're not putting in four video cards in (you can always extent the length of the crossover wiring) this is not for beginners but I do believe that it will be a lot of fun for you. remember that TEK requires insulation for both heat transference and frequency interference this has to be done correctly.
m
l
April 6, 2012 8:07:23 PM

Best answer selected by belezeebub.
m
l
!