Inactive OC of Q6600?

Coldman

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hey guys. I've had this rig a while now and initially I had it OC'd no problem at 3.4 ghz; one day in the recent years it failed to post (for whatever reason, might have changed something) and I have not needed to go beyond stock speed until now.

I recently purchased a 6850 to get myself back upto speed on a budget - OC'd it to a nice speed and I'm running BF3 on ultra at 50+ FPS...but it's bottlenecking and I'm getting incremental periods of freezing up despite the great FPS.

My rig is as follows

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor + Tuniq Tower Cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
Sapphire HD 6850 Vapor-X Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory (9-9-9-24 1333mhz)

No matter what I set in the bios, cpu-z, windows and the boot page all show my CPU to remain at stock speed. If I try a different multiplier then it reduces the default clock as per stock FSB - despite the correct clock being visible in BIOS at 3.2ghz (or whatever I set it to). Bios seems to react appropriately in that it will set certain settings to default should they fail post, but refuses to activate whatever working setup I go with.

I have managed to get an active 3ghz clock, but I'm not sure what I did and I have failed to even recreate it. I have flashed my Bios from F12 down to F10 incrementally and tried at each step to no avail.

I am a novice when it comes to OCing CPUs and I will admit that I'm more than likely not doing things very accurately, yet not matter what guide or tutorial I follow I keep running into the same problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I would very much like to get into the mid 3ghz range :D

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You're not checking your speed at idle, are you? At idle, speedstep kicks in to save you electricity. I would not recommend disabling it, since it's only active when the CPU doesn't need to extra speed.

I'd recommend checking your speeds while running Prime95 just to be sure it's not a speedstep thing.

Coldman

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Just did a number of tests (different ram, unplugging all none essentials etc) and still nothing.

It has seriously confused me as all settings are functional (multiplier, voltage settings, ram/timings) yet I just cannot change the god damn speed.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I had a similar issue with an old system of mine. The CPU was multiplier locked, but the BIOS didn't disable the multiplier selector in the OC page. I could give it whatever multiplier I wanted and the BIOS thought it was changing, but the CPU just ran at the stock setting. You did try changing the FSB right?