Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on Cards to Purchase

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2009 9:43:50 PM

Hi, it's computer upgrade and purchase month for me. I have a Dell Dimension 4600. I have a 5200 card in there now that came with it and use it with 2 monitors. I want to 2 more monitors.

What card do I buy? I checked newegg.com and some other places, but can't figure out what will work. The PCI slots in the stock images don't match the PCI slots in my computer. I have two slots free

This guy long ago put in four monitors with with the following Boards:
1. AGP 128MB NVidia GeForce FX5200 (DVI + VGA + TV out)
2. PCI 128MB NVidia GeForce FX5200 (DVI + VGA + TV out) Made by Chaintech, Model: P-FX20
3. PCI SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with Firewire port.

But is there something better I can use? More efficient/bang for the buck. It's been a reliable system and I would like to keep it in queue. If you can direct me to a seller who has what I need, that would be awesome.

A few years ago I bough t a new evga 8600 "PCI-E"when I was even more hardware ignorant. And its been sitting in the drawer unused ever since and I don't want to do that again.

Thanks to all who reply!
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 10:14:42 PM

Either of these two PCI FX 5200 video cards should get the job done.

PCI & AGP cards are more expensive than the PCI-e counterparts these days. But a PCI video card CAN move into a new PC where an AGP card won't be able to make the move.
m
l
November 18, 2009 12:58:23 AM

Thanks a lot. Physically though the cards you listed are different from the card like I mentioned in the post that looks like it will physically fit in my mobo slots. This one here PCI 128MB NVidia GeForce FX5200. Will they both fit the same slot, ie the one I just listed and the ones you listed for me. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 1:03:23 AM

Your motherboard looks like this?

3 white PCI slots and 1 aqua AGP slot. Your FX 5200 is in the AGP slot, right?
The cards I listed are PCI cards, not AGP.
m
l
November 18, 2009 1:31:59 AM

Yes, I have a Dell OEM MOBO

Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4600i
System Service Tag: DWK5F51 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: DWK5F51
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total) Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0F4491
Serial Number: ..CN48111463037D.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A12 08/26/2004

I saw the physical part of the white slots -one long slot on the white and a small one on the white and I didn't think a card with one long slot and two small slots would fit into it. Sorry for the lack of vocabulary but I'm not a hardware guy.

I've been reading the the 4600 documentation and it says my card will only support a 32 bit card. Does that sound right? Sorry to hassle you, and appreciate you being so responsive.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 2:21:11 AM

Shnur said:
It's memory interfaces : width between the GPU and the VRAM on the card itself, they'll all work in your PCI slot. :) 
Shnur gave the correct answer. It also applies to 128bit video cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 2:24:13 AM

mcrasen said:
I saw the physical part of the white slots -one long slot on the white and a small one on the white and I didn't think a card with one long slot and two small slots would fit into it. Sorry for the lack of vocabulary but I'm not a hardware guy.

I've been reading the the 4600 documentation and it says my card will only support a 32 bit card. Does that sound right? Sorry to hassle you, and appreciate you being so responsive.
Is there no diagram in the manual that explains what slots 'one long slot and two small slots' are?

And 'it says my card will only support a 32 bit card' doesn't sound right. Are you sure you copied it correctly?

Got a link to the manual?
m
l
November 20, 2009 5:35:51 AM

Thanks again. I Ordered. As you know you were correct. I pulled a card out that I have in another PCI slot and looked at the card. This is the manual but it's a moot point. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/e...

But, I have a few computers (large family) and have a few another questions. I already Read about 1.5 hour on it and there is conflicting information. I have two 530s (slim case), and I say that b/c I think they make one with a larger case. I want some video cards for those to add some displays.

I know there was a low profile half height card by HIS I think that had two DVI, one DVI stacked on the other. I can't find it for sale anymore. I am wondering what will work with what low profile bracket kit? There isn't much room in the case, and many recommended on threads simply won't fit despite the claims. It's packed tight.

These are the available slots -2 Slots PCIe x1: 1 Slot PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots

And the other question is, if you know, what sort of PSU will this physically hold if I need to upgrade -given the space limitations b/c of case size. I would rather not upgrade if I didn't have to do so. I just need it for a few monitors. The stock PSU is 250w.

Thank you very much even if you don't get to the above.

WR2 said:
Is there no diagram in the manual that explains what slots 'one long slot and two small slots' are?

And 'it says my card will only support a 32 bit card' doesn't sound right. Are you sure you copied it correctly?

Got a link to the manual?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 1:51:34 PM

mcrasen said:
what sort of PSU will this physically hold if I need to upgrade -given the space limitations b/c of case size. I would rather not upgrade if I didn't have to do so. I just need it for a few monitors. The stock PSU is 250w.
You should not need a PSU upgrade for 2 5200 type video cards.

Dual DVI and low profile is a bigger problem. Even if the video card is capable of two outputs the bracket is not long enough to have two connectors. As seen in the this HIS video card accessory pack. The low profile bracket only supports 1 DVI connector or 1 VGA connector - not both.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 1:59:20 PM

If you can find a low profile or low profile ready video card with VGA and DVI - you can always get a VGA-DVI adapter for 2 DVI connections. It's the bracket size that is going to be the limiting factor.

You can find a DVI and HDMI connector on the same bracket. Here is a PCI-e x1 model.
HIS HD 4350 iFan Native HDMI 512MB (64bit) DDR2 PCIe 1x

PCI-e x16 card with DVI and HDMI on the same bracket. MSI R4550-MD1GH Radeon HD 4550 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
m
l
!