CPU-Z Reading different vcore than BIOS???

jtsmith1287

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hey guys! Just need to get this straightened out. I currently have got my e6600 @3.4ghz. I'm pretty happy with the results. I have it unlinked from my ram and all that, so I'm ignoring that completely for now.

In my BIOS I have my vcore set to something like 1.57500 (This si just where I've left it overnight. Found out today that max voltage for this proc is 1.5). However, CPU-Z is telling me my voltage is fluctuating between something like 1.46-1.488. So, can I push it higher to the 1.5 to see if I can push past the 3.4 wall, or is CPU-Z lying to me?

Solution
There's really no advante to overclocking the ram, so leaving it unlinked and stock is recommended.

Your bios temps and voltage is always going to be higher because your cpu runs at full speed in bios. Cpu does not run full speed when your looking at cpu-z.

I doubt you'll get past the 3.4 wall, my E6300 couldn't get past 3.42, but that's a massive overclock considering it's a 1.86ghz cpu.

jtsmith1287

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I guess as a side note... this is a not-priority-question... I was told that raising FSB raises just about everything else on the stystem... yet I have it set to unlinked mode... so ram is sitting at 900mhz (I lied... it is a hair oc'd, but that's going to change tonight... will be better for me to underclock and tighten timings, I believe). So does this mean my FSB (currently at 1500mhz (I have to change this to OC)... my mobo OC's weird ... cpu at 377x9) really is not effecting my system as it is unlinked? This being the case, am I exempt from the "RAM will hold you back" problem? Or do I still need to get my ram compatible to further push my cpu?

Again, ignore this question if you can. I am more concerned with the CPU-Z issue. Thanks!!! :)

There's really no advante to overclocking the ram, so leaving it unlinked and stock is recommended.

Your bios temps and voltage is always going to be higher because your cpu runs at full speed in bios. Cpu does not run full speed when your looking at cpu-z.

I doubt you'll get past the 3.4 wall, my E6300 couldn't get past 3.42, but that's a massive overclock considering it's a 1.86ghz cpu.

Solution

jtsmith1287

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Would you be willing to link me something that explains why overclocking RAM is pointless? Not saying I don't believe you, but just wondering why this is. I'm thinking of bringing my 800mhz gskill down to 700 or so and seeing if I can get 4-4-4-12. (Scratching my head here wondering if I'm backwards)

Anyway, thanks! That's exciting to know (answer to cpuz Q). I might not get to crank it up much more currently as I'm still on air cooling, and stress tests are putting me at 70c. But if I can push it past 3.4 that would be somethin' else. :D