Ultra low power PC

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I am trying to find parts for a very low power PC.

I saw a motherboard not to long ago with an Intel Atom, 2 SO-DIMM DDR2 slots, a single 12v power connector for a *brick style" power supply (looks like a laptop PSU), and a single hard drive power connector on the motherboard.

I would like to find another motherboard just like this but I am having trouble locating such a beast.

Requirements would be:
SO-DIMM DDR2 (2 slots preferred, 1 slot is ok as well)
Single power connector (no 20 or 24 pin PSU connector)
CPU type does not excite me, though I do not want a desktop or mobile Core2. Atom or equivilant would be greatly preferred.
DVI would be a huge bonus but is not required.
Would be nice to see a power connector onboard for the hard drive.

This will be running Linux/Open Office/Mozilla
Target uses will be Document Creation and webmail - I don't need tons of CPU power and I do not need wireless.

I would appreciate it if some one could point me in the right direction because I am getting tired of looking at pages and pages of ITX parts without finding what I am looking for.

Thanks

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
This is where you'd start looking!

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=446&name=Motherboard-CPU-VGA-Combo

The atom 230 is a single core, the 330 is dual core. The Celeron is going to give you exponentially more power than the atom for a few more watts.

If I were you, I wouldn't go with a laptop-style power brick because it will be hard to find a replacement if it dies. Go with a case with a standard TFX12v (I think) PSU. Better yet, find a case which includes a nice small PSU.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
BTW, The VIA C3 is pointless unless you want your computer to be a router. It's strictly embedded device territory. (I think some cell phones are VIA C3 now...)

The C7 will give you power which is less than the Atom, but it is a little more energy efficient. The Atom (by far) has the best power/performance curve.

Depending on your needs, choose a 230 or 330.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I just found Intel D945GSEJT

Only 1 memory slot but it fits all of my other requirements quite well. Newegg does not sell what I am looking for. I did manage to find the right motherboard (after I asked the question)....

Funny how that works sometimes.