Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How bad is using 1.7v for RAM on an i5 750 Intel chip?

Last response: in Memory
May 13, 2010 8:50:47 AM

Hi all, I was hoping I could get some clarification on a question that has bugging me.

My understanding is that the Intel i5/i7 do not want more than 1.65v going to the RAM. How bad is it to go over this?

I heard that as long as RAM voltage stays within 0.5 of the CPU VTT then it is safe.

I currently use the MSI P55 CD53 mobo, my RAM is running on 1.7v unfortunately, the mobo does not seem to have the CPU VTT in the Bios, though I can see it in the Control Center once I boot up and I can adjust it there. However it seems I have to adjust it there each time I turn on the machine.

The thing is, my MSI mobo which is designed for the Intel i5/i7, considers 1.7v to the RAM as safe in the Bios. Only at 1.8 does it turn the figure red and warn it is not recommended. So, how bad is it to set the RAM at 1.7? If it is bad, Why is a mobo designed for the chip saying that 1.7v is safe?

Thanks for your answers

More about : bad ram 750 intel chip

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 13, 2010 9:31:35 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Well its not recommended to use a RAM with more than 1.65v on i5/i7 CPUs,i did a google search and there are some users with RAMs which have 1.9v on P55/X58 chipsets and some of them managed to work on this chipsets but they had to lower the voltage because its very risky to use such a high voltage on these chipsets.
I don't know why yours reports 1.7 as a safe option but anything more than 1.65 isn't recommended
May 13, 2010 9:47:35 AM

At worst, you'll fry the RAM. However, I do believe that most RAM manufacturers have "limited lifetime warranty". I fried my Kingston DDR2 value ram once by overclocking and overvolting and they (Kingston service centre) voluntarily changed for me. But of course, I'm not suggesting you to do the same. Like what Maziar mentioned, keep it at 1.65
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2010 10:48:31 AM

Hmmm, at 1.65v the RAM is not stable, I would have to slow it down to 1333mhz for that I think
m
l
a b } Memory
May 13, 2010 10:55:08 AM

Then do it,its better the best to keep it on the recommended voltage
m
l
May 13, 2010 11:30:43 AM

alikum said:
At worst, you'll fry the RAM. However, I do believe that most RAM manufacturers have "limited lifetime warranty". I fried my Kingston DDR2 value ram once by overclocking and overvolting and they (Kingston service centre) voluntarily changed for me. But of course, I'm not suggesting you to do the same. Like what Maziar mentioned, keep it at 1.65

The RAM frying is not my concern, it is supposed to be able to cope with up to 2.0v, and if it did fry I can easily replace. My issue is the CPU chipset dislikes having more than 1.65v which means I am afraid of damaging my i5 750.

I just wonder if 1.7 will actually damage my CPU or if it will just reduce its lifespan a bit (like OCing does) which does not concern me so much as I don't keep my computer for more than 3 years.

Have been using 1.7v for a few weeks and I certainly have no issues, but that does not mean behind the scenes the CPU isn't getting frazzled bit by bit.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 13, 2010 11:45:38 AM

I think it will decrease both RAM's and CPUs life span since its operating at a non-recommended voltage
m
l
May 13, 2010 11:58:42 AM

Ok, well I am not worried about a life decrease due to the lifespan being much higher than my usual owning of a PC. Having said that, losing lifespan for the sake of being 160mhz instead of 1333mhz just really isn't worth it. Assuming the RAM will work fine at 1.65v at lower speed then I think I will do that
m
l
May 14, 2010 9:43:59 AM

Best answer selected by asteldian.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 14, 2010 12:13:52 PM

Wow, can't believe no one mentioned this. As you said, the ram is rated for more then 1.65. There is no "memory controller" in the usual sense as its in the CPU. The pins are so small on this socket that it will literally burn them out/up if you go over 1.65. This means you will damage your 750 and the board probably as well. (the ram should be fine)

I would NEVER go over 1.65 on an Intel socket. Higher voltages are ok for AMD, but not Intel.
m
l
!