HDD dock question...

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I'm about to use a hdd dock that allows EIDE drives via USB to my computer to transfer a bunch of data from a few drives over to a new SATA drive.

Is there anything I need to know going into this so nothing crashes or acts up? Data transfer rates, anything like that? I don't wanna do this and then have someone go...
"did you lower the transfer rate cap on the thingy so you wouldn't overflow the dude?"
"uh....no."
"oh ok well it's going to keep crashing unless you do that and you'll overheat the EIDE hdd"

By the way, the computer has no IDE drivers so the dock's being a bit annoying about recognizing the drives.

Any thoughts?

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z68A-D3-B3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 5/2/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.4

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB

Dock: http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1319

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Seems to give me trouble every time now.

I should also say that I have a laptop that is considerably older than this PC. I built this PC this summer without IDE because I was told I could always use my dock.

But my laptop is about 6 years old and I've never had trouble with the dock on it. Can I plug the duck in one USB port and the new SATA external HDD in another USB port?