Sign in with
Your question

OCing my ram without the bios

Last response: in Overclocking
March 30, 2012 12:53:09 AM

I asked before how to overclock my CPU but Now I have realised that when I overclock my CPU it also increases my ram, but when I oc I get better fps but if I play any games made by dice I take 2 steps forward then one back (bfbc2) but also in bf3 I walk 10 steps forward and 12 back. I was wondering if theres a way to oc my ram (my main bottleneck) and not kill my performance in dice games.

More about : ocing ram bios

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2012 12:08:59 PM

Only way to OC RAM is in BIOS I think. How is RAM your bottleneck?
m
l
March 30, 2012 8:42:46 PM

So, first off... 2 steps forward, 1 back? Lag much? That sounds like network issue man. Common mistake - make sure you're not uploading anything. You may get say 20mbs download, but you're also probably getting 3mbs upload. Don't forget to divide your megabit speed by 8 to get your megaBYTE speed. (3mbs ^ is actually only 375KB)

Second, that in no way sounds like a RAM issue. If your RAM was bottlenecking your system, then you'd be experiencing freezing, or program timeouts, or reaaaallly slow load times. I can almost guarantee you're having network issues.

Specifically, RAM is simply a stockpile of "this is going to be important temporarily" information that is generally stored permanently on your harddrive. When you load up a game, that program will grab everything it needs to run and puts it in your ram, and then everything graphics related goes to your gddr* on your gpu. That allows that program to access it more quickly, but doesn't really use it on the fly. For instance, if you load a map, it will just grab that info before the map loads, and then it's done. The rest is all on the CPU and GPU.. However, once it's loaded, it's just there. If your RAM was going to bottleneck, you'd never get the map loaded, or it would just take a year to do so.

Hope that helps!

Also, DON'T USE SOFTWARE TO OC - ONLY TO MONITOR. :D 

m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 9:06:30 PM

akxpckwb said:
Only way to OC RAM is in BIOS I think. How is RAM your bottleneck?

its 333mhz and in games I can have like 80% cpu usage with my geforce gt 545 and get like 30 fps but when I oc my cpu/ram I can get like 40 fps
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:07:24 PM

jtsmith1287 said:
So, first off... 2 steps forward, 1 back? Lag much? That sounds like network issue man. Common mistake - make sure you're not uploading anything. You may get say 20mbs download, but you're also probably getting 3mbs upload. Don't forget to divide your megabit speed by 8 to get your megaBYTE speed. (3mbs ^ is actually only 375KB)

Second, that in no way sounds like a RAM issue. If your RAM was bottlenecking your system, then you'd be experiencing freezing, or program timeouts, or reaaaallly slow load times. I can almost guarantee you're having network issues.

Specifically, RAM is simply a stockpile of "this is going to be important temporarily" information that is generally stored permanently on your harddrive. When you load up a game, that program will grab everything it needs to run and puts it in your ram, and then everything graphics related goes to your gddr* on your gpu. That allows that program to access it more quickly, but doesn't really use it on the fly. For instance, if you load a map, it will just grab that info before the map loads, and then it's done. The rest is all on the CPU and GPU.. However, once it's loaded, it's just there. If your RAM was going to bottleneck, you'd never get the map loaded, or it would just take a year to do so.

Hope that helps!

well if 5 secs latter I get big lag then maybe but when I turn it off I go back to normal trust me ocing causes this
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:56:44 PM

stealer0517 said:
well if 5 secs latter I get big lag then maybe but when I turn it off I go back to normal trust me ocing causes this

Something I've noted about the Frostbite engine - It's CPU intensive. My guess is, it's instability with your overclock. I would just unlink your RAM from your FSB if you can, otherwise I'd keep fighting the good fight for a stable OC... or turn off OC altogether.

EDIT: Unless you specify, opening up your fsb will open up other peripherals as well. That being said, your increase in performance could also be that you're unknowingly OCing your GPU as well. So, again, unlink your RAM, and just concentrate on getting your cpu higher/more stable, and see about pushing the GPU a little harder.
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:05:31 PM

jtsmith1287 said:

Hope that helps!

It's not an internet issue It's 1.2 Mega bytes per second and if it was how would it fix in the time it takes my comp to restart/ a program to start and click a few buttons
m
l
!