Another existing homebuilt ready for upgrade

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hi all. I used this forum last time I upgraded my PC so thanks (once again!) for the advice.

Now I'm a believer in helping ones self. However, I don't have a clue which hardware is compatible, even the compatibility guide in the user manual gets out dated at some point. So with the technology changing constantly, my question initially is "How do you know what you can use"??
I had a read through the 'guide to choosing parts' which is fair enough but it could never go into specifics.

Anyway, my system specs are below. I think the graphics card could do with being updated; on Armed Assault 2 the low memory on it causes blank textures to be reloaded constantly. Also unsure of the CPU.

Motherboard; ABIT IX48-GT3 Socket 775
CPU; Intel Core2Quad Q9400 (2.66Ghz) - Socket 775
RAM; 4Gb Corsair TwinX DDR3 1333
Graphics; GigaByte 8800GTS (320Mb)
HD; SATA hard drives
CD; SATA DVD & CD (Lightscribe) burner
OS; Win XP Pro, SP3

I will probably be buying from www.scan.co.uk as I've used them for my previous orders and find their pricing competitive and support pretty good.

I agree with enzo. Overclocking the CPU might help some, but getting a graphics card with 1GB RAM would make that into a pretty solid gaming rig. Might also help to upgrade to win7 64it to make use of your RAM.

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks folks. The video card totalled £200 when I bought it!!
Depends on what the price/performance payoff is. For example I think I'd be aiming 1) for something with some more memory, 2) as a year or so has passed since the 8800GTS, the technology will have improved to give better performance for the same money. I'm not interested in dual cards though.

PS - its worth saying that the temperature the motherboard monitor for the CPU is bust, it goes full-scale when it is first turned on cold. I had issues with the PC shutting itself down due to a false overtemp detection. It compounded to my problem that my speaker wire is broken in the case and I had no idea it was blaring warning beeps at me :/ So I would prefer to leave the CPU as it is intended.

5850 is only 9 inches, a motherboard is 9.5 inches so it cant be a problem. Also Im pretty sure there were no 8800/9800 series cards shorter than 9 inches.

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Something I am worried about with upgrading to Win7 are the motherboard (and chipset) drivers. Abit have a DIRE website for driver downloads.

Does anyone know if there are Win7 drivers for "ABIT IX48-GT3 Socket 775" motherboard?