Sign in with
Your question

Putting red coolant in blue tubing?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 30, 2012 9:54:17 AM

Hey
At the moment i am using clear tubing with koolance uv red coolant and i dont really like red anymore and i want to change it, but i dont want to buy a different colour coolant. And i was planning to just buy primochill uv blue tubing and use the coolant i have now. So what do you think the end result of red uv coolant in primochill uv blue tubing will look like? Will i get a nice blue uv look, a redish inside blue tubing look, a purple look or something that looks like yuk?

thanks
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 12:04:21 PM

I think the red will just end up looking black in there, definitely not purple :) 
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 2:43:01 PM

I agree with Moto on this...it will likely be pretty dark, if you can even see it much at all. I have Primochill Blue and it's very opaque...it would likely just look like solid blue tubing with colored coolant.

Why not just get the color of tubing you want and simply use distilled water?
Related resources
a c 205 K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 3:04:17 PM

Normally red and blue = purple but true purple is controlled by the mixing ratio, so the end results should be interesting?

There's no true outcome exact prediction you'll just have to do it and report what happens, you can always test outside the machine in a piece of tubing and see what happens before hand.

That's what I would do in your situation, then you will know for sure.
March 31, 2012 4:34:10 AM

Yeah I might just buy red tubing and a little bit of blue to test it out so I know if I should buy more or not. I have thought about using distilled water before but don't you have to add other things to it? Or can you just use it outta the bottle because that would be a lot cheaper and easier to replace over time. I would really love that white milky looking coolant but I don't know how to mix it and I don't know anywhere that sells it.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 4:45:18 AM

You are thinking Mayhem's...right? They have the pearlescent fluids like that...but they are really only meant to be run for short periods of time (like a trade show, or display) as the coolant separates out and loses luster. Distilled water is what most of us use with a little biocide to prevent bio growth. Distilled is around $1 a gallon in the US, so it's cheap and works better than just about anything else you can buy.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 10:43:09 AM

Theres a few ways to keep crawlie population down, killcoils, biocide drops and UV light are the most popular,
but have another vote for plain distilled from me :) 
Moto
March 31, 2012 12:24:09 PM

So do you think next time I change my coolant I should use distilled water? If the UV light keeps it clean then I might just do that. It would be a lot cheaper and would make my life easier. Thanks :) 
March 31, 2012 1:24:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Theres a few ways to keep crawlie population down, killcoils, biocide drops and UV light are the most popular,
but have another vote for plain distilled from me :) 
Moto

UV light as in UV cathodes. I haven't heard of doing that. How well does that work?
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 2:23:16 PM

As MacGyver says....

It works for me :) 
Actually it was from a show called Hunter, I'd have sworn it was Mac though :) 
I have two killcoils in my loop as well, but just plain distilled with no biocide added
or another option I like is this,
http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/steripen.html
you need easy access to your res though obviously for those, and I don't have that :) 
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 2:49:43 PM

? Bubbles?
I'm afraid not, although that pic may have been taken just after first setup so possibly some rogue o2 hehe
I have zero air in my loop, no bubbles, locks or pockets anywhere, I designed that way so I can flush into an open bucket and that keeps air out,
awesome engineering makes maintenance a walkaway job for me, and topping up is a matter of turning it onto its back, loosening a cap on the T-virus and filling, 2 minutes and done

Moto
March 31, 2012 6:19:32 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
? Bubbles?
I'm afraid not, although that pic may have been taken just after first setup so possibly some rogue o2 hehe
I have zero air in my loop, no bubbles, locks or pockets anywhere, I designed that way so I can flush into an open bucket and that keeps air out,
awesome engineering makes maintenance a walkaway job for me, and topping up is a matter of turning it onto its back, loosening a cap on the T-virus and filling, 2 minutes and done
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Psycho%20Rider/IMAG0331.jpg
Moto

Thought it was unlike you to have an imperfection in your pc ;-)

So you lean it forward to drain and back to fill. That's a pretty awesome design.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 7:40:55 PM

Thanks man,
I think it highlights how getting things sorted in the planning stage can help you later on, something a lot of people tend to miss out through no fault of their own, most don't think about how they will flush/drain/refill when trying to build the loop, but it pays off hehe
Moto
a c 205 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 8:05:36 PM

@Moto Love the T-Virus res, what radiator is that? It looks really thick.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 31, 2012 9:55:30 PM

RX240, I'm also adding two EX360's soon for the gfx cards in an external radbox,
but I'm modding to keep the DCII shrouds (waterblocks will be hidden beneath them), cause they look cool too :p 
Moto
March 31, 2012 11:05:13 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
RX240, I'm also adding two EX360's soon for the gfx cards in an external radbox,
but I'm modding to keep the DCII shrouds (waterblocks will be hidden beneath them), cause they look cool too :p 
Moto

How do you plan to do the waterblocks?
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 8:42:31 AM

Op hasn't responded so I don't feel as bad about jacking the thread, but apologies to him if he is checking and its just our convo lol :) 

I'll be using
http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/ek-vga-supreme-hf-...
Scoring the top of the block to let my glue grip it, and hold the metal frame to the block

I'll make up a little retaining bracket at the far end where the frame currently screws to the Heatsink, that will hold the far end onto the card,

And as a bonus, the two 100mm fans per card will assist the cooling further (like I really need it hehe)
My cards non-ref and heres a stripdown guide I've used to plan things, but as always I'll tweak and adapt if necessary once I have the blocks in my hand,
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asus_hd6950_2gb_di...

Moto
April 1, 2012 11:25:05 AM

I don't mind, my question has already been answered lol
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 11:26:01 AM

what have you decided to do then?
Moto
April 1, 2012 11:57:28 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

I'd hazard a guess and say he's planning to get uv blue tubing with distilled water and use a uv light to keep it clean.

Motopsychojdn said:
Op hasn't responded so I don't feel as bad about jacking the thread, but apologies to him if he is checking and its just our convo lol :) 

I'll be using
http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/ek-vga-supreme-hf-...
Scoring the top of the block to let my glue grip it, and hold the metal frame to the block
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/asus_hd6950_dcu_ii_pcb_shroud.jpg

I'll make up a little retaining bracket at the far end where the frame currently screws to the Heatsink, that will hold the far end onto the card,

And as a bonus, the two 100mm fans per card will assist the cooling further (like I really need it hehe)
My cards non-ref and heres a stripdown guide I've used to plan things, but as always I'll tweak and adapt if necessary once I have the blocks in my hand,
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asus_hd6950_2gb_di...

Moto

Could that work with other graphics cards? I've been helping someone who is having trouble. Could you help if possible?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/348466-15-6870-full...
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 1, 2012 12:11:46 PM

Checked in there
Moto
April 2, 2012 12:20:42 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

I'm going to use the distilled water and buy the blue tubing and use uv cathodes to kill all the nasty little things that can buildup in my watercooling system like what Devastater said haha thanks for the help gyz I appreciate it heaps :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 1:04:25 AM

No probs man, glad to help
Moto
!