Sign in with
Your question

Atx vs btx

Last response: in Components
January 26, 2010 7:16:27 PM

hello i am looking at upgrading my power supply. but when i look at them there are ATX and BTX??? from what i understand both of the cables from either ATX or BTX are the same?? if some one could please let me know. would be very helpful. thanks Adam

More about : atx btx

a c 243 ) Power supply
January 26, 2010 7:45:53 PM

In some instances a BTX power supply will have it's cables on the opposite side so that when mounted in a BTX case they are against the back wall, other than that, no difference.
Check the photos in these links,
BTX

ATX
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 26, 2010 7:52:53 PM

Normally an atx power supply is used with one of several versions of an ATX motherboard while a BTX power supply is used with a BTX motherboard. BTX components are not as common as ATX components. The BTX form factor which was introduced about 5 years ago never caught on. That's why you'll find hundreds of atx power supplies and atx components at online vendors but only a handful of btx components.

Modern ATX and BTX power supplies have the same standardized 20+4 pin main power cable for the motherboard and a second smaller standardized power cable for the motherboard.

Mixing atx and btx specific components is not recommended.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 26, 2010 7:56:37 PM

thanks a bunch. which one would you suggest? I have a gateway gt5404 that needs one. and want to run a Fatal1ty gt8500 512mb pci-e video card. if could let me know either btx or atx power, and how many watt would be needed. thanks Adam
m
l
January 26, 2010 8:13:14 PM

so will that work for the gatway gt5404? lmk please. and thanks been alot of help
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 26, 2010 8:22:02 PM

Yup, and will give plenty of room for a decent video upgrade.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:19:14 AM

thanx mr. igot some knowledge....
m
l
!