Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SD-H400 drive corrupted - need bak file

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 6:49:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the SD-H400.
I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but something
went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on "Welcome
Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt to
restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a copy of
that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.
September 28, 2005 2:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com> wrote in message
news:Kmh_e.19529$Ix4.16824@okepread03...
>I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the
>SD-H400.
> I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but
> something
> went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on
> "Welcome
> Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt to
> restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a copy
> of
> that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.

Can't help you with an image, but rather some troubleshooting. Did you
double check the cables (data and power)? Did you have to change the
jumpers on the TiVo drive to put it in your PC to do the backup and forget
to set the jumpers back? A properly performed backup is a read-only
operation (in respect to the original drive) so nothing should be corrupted.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 7:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <Kmh_e.19529$Ix4.16824@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
wrote:

> I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the SD-H400.
> I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but something
> went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on "Welcome
> Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt to
> restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a copy of
> that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.


You can buy a CD that effectively does that for $19.99 from
ptvupgrade.com
Related resources
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 5:21:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Would that CD include an image of a SD-H400 hard drive? That's what I need.



"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jackzwick-346715.22042127092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com...
> In article <Kmh_e.19529$Ix4.16824@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the
>> SD-H400.
>> I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but
>> something
>> went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on
>> "Welcome
>> Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt to
>> restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a copy
>> of
>> that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.
>
>
> You can buy a CD that effectively does that for $19.99 from
> ptvupgrade.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:52:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <aiB_e.19596$Ix4.17754@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
wrote:

> Would that CD include an image of a SD-H400 hard drive? That's what I need.


yes


>
>
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:jackzwick-346715.22042127092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com...
> > In article <Kmh_e.19529$Ix4.16824@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the
> >> SD-H400.
> >> I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but
> >> something
> >> went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on
> >> "Welcome
> >> Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt to
> >> restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a copy
> >> of
> >> that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.
> >
> >
> > You can buy a CD that effectively does that for $19.99 from
> > ptvupgrade.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:52:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ptvupgrade replied to a query from me that they don't have a SD-H400 version
of InstantCake. Which is puzzling, since they sell upgrade drives for that
model.

"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jackzwick-8B9CB4.14521028092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com...
> In article <aiB_e.19596$Ix4.17754@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Would that CD include an image of a SD-H400 hard drive? That's what I
>> need.
>
>
> yes
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:jackzwick-346715.22042127092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com...
>> > In article <Kmh_e.19529$Ix4.16824@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >> I have a subscribed Series 1, and have been using Tivo Basic on the
>> >> SD-H400.
>> >> I finally got around to making a backup of the SD-H400 drive, but
>> >> something
>> >> went haywire while I was attempting that. Now the unit is stuck on
>> >> "Welcome
>> >> Powering Up". I need to find a tivo.bak file for this so I can attempt
>> >> to
>> >> restore the drive. Can anyone help? Please e-mail if you can suppy a
>> >> copy
>> >> of
>> >> that file. Remove XXX from e-mail address. Thanks.
>> >
>> >
>> > You can buy a CD that effectively does that for $19.99 from
>> > ptvupgrade.com
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:10:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <KhG_e.19627$Ix4.10132@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
wrote:

> Ptvupgrade replied to a query from me that they don't have a SD-H400 version
> of InstantCake. Which is puzzling, since they sell upgrade drives for that
> model.
>

Boo - Hiss
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 7:24:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>In article <KhG_e.19627$Ix4.10132@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
>wrote:
>> Ptvupgrade replied to a query from me that they don't have a SD-H400 version
>> of InstantCake. Which is puzzling, since they sell upgrade drives for that
>> model.
>Boo - Hiss

I don't believe they have one for the 810H either.

The reason, as I recall, is that there is something different about
those units which makes the necessary images, etc, too big to fit on a
CD. I'd asked about one for the 810H a while back.

They do have a service where you send them a drive and they image it
for you - $75 IIRC.

-MZ
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 7:24:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

MegaZone (newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> The reason, as I recall, is that there is something different about
> those units which makes the necessary images, etc, too big to fit on a
> CD. I'd asked about one for the 810H a while back.
>
> They do have a service where you send them a drive and they image it
> for you - $75 IIRC.

That's pretty lucrative for them, considering there are these new-fangled
things called D-V-D's that you can write to and use them to boot your
machine.

--
Jeff Rife | "Wow, I've never seen you this
| bitter...I like it."
|
| -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:23:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Weaknees does it for $55 - I went with them.

"MegaZone" <newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org> wrote in message
news:newscache$4t6kni$1wa1$1@sidehack.gweep.net...
> Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>>In article <KhG_e.19627$Ix4.10132@okepread03>, "Ken_B" <kb3XXX@usa.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Ptvupgrade replied to a query from me that they don't have a SD-H400
>>> version
>>> of InstantCake. Which is puzzling, since they sell upgrade drives for
>>> that
>>> model.
>>Boo - Hiss
>
> I don't believe they have one for the 810H either.
>
> The reason, as I recall, is that there is something different about
> those units which makes the necessary images, etc, too big to fit on a
> CD. I'd asked about one for the 810H a while back.
>
> They do have a service where you send them a drive and they image it
> for you - $75 IIRC.
>
> -MZ
> --
> <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer,
> me.
> "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men"
> 508-852-2171
> <URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt;
> Eris
>
>
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:54:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>That's pretty lucrative for them, considering there are these new-fangled
>things called D-V-D's that you can write to and use them to boot your
>machine.

Yeah, I know, I asked about that and they said they were considering
it but didn't see the market at the time.

I doubt they're making a ton of money off it - the Pioneer units and
the SD-H400 aren't exactly huge sellers. I doubt it is a big chunk of
their market.

And if you're upgrading a healthy box you just buy the Universal Boot
CD and copy the image from the healthy drive. You only need
InstantCake for a dead drive.

-MZ
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
!