Gaming PC, ~$2500 AUS

lelongt

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I'm looking to build a new gaming system which will hopefully last at least a few years for about $2500 or so $AUS. If it's worth it I can go a few hundred dollars beyond this though. Looking for advice regarding whether or not this is an appropriate choice of parts, whether or not certain parts are too powerful/not powerful enough. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep up with graphical advances in gaming for at least some time before having to upgrade. Also, regarding SATA 6Gbps/USB 3 -- is it worth the wait? I can wait things out a bit if it's worth it for newer hardware but not sure if this is one such upgrade worth waiting for.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
Late November/Early December

BUDGET RANGE:
$2500±200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming, 3D Modelling/Animation, (Very) Basic Video Editing, Coding

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
www.pccasegear.com.au
www.netplus.com.au
Will buy parts from a combination of both depending on pricing/availability of parts.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Australia

PARTS PREFERENCES/CURRENT BUILD:
PROCESSOR: $348
Core i7 920

MEMORY: $329
Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 C7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3

GRAPHICS CARD: $589
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1Gb

MOTHERBOARD: $399
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard

CASE: $399
Corsair Obsidian Series 800d

HARD DRIVE: $79
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

DVD RW DRIVE: $75
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Black

POWER SUPPLY: $275
Corsair HX-850

OVERCLOCKING:
Probably not, at least not in the short term.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
Most likely in future, several months are build.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
Will be 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 when I buy the monitor but in the short term I'll be using a 1440x900 + 1280x1024 setup. Will probably use the 1400x900 in conjunction with the larger monitor when I get it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Non-negotiable points are X58 chipset and buying parts from Australia.
I am uncertain if my power supply is too much/too little and whether or not a CPU cooler is necessary.
Also, if the chance of overclocking is slim, is the motherboard chosen necessary?
I am considering two hard drives in RAID 0 for the speed improvement. I've been told by a friend RAID 0 helps significantly, anyone else's experiences with this would be useful. I will likely purchase a 1TB hard drive if I only use one disk.

If there's anything missing or if I haven't been precise enough, please let me know and thanks for reading.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Your PSU is overkill for that. I would recommend a 650-750w psu for the 5870. ATI says only 600w is required.
A CPU cooler is only needed if you want to overclock.
The motherboard you picked is nice but you still could tone it done a bit. All you REALLY need is a crossfire supported board but its always nice to have more features.
A per the RAID, I suggest just getting this 1tb HDD: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12711
Even if you do raid, I still recommend that HDD as it is faster, it does come ina 500gb version but that site doesn't have it.

lelongt

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hey,

Thanks for the reply although I've actually ordered parts already but everything except the case got delayed so I have a chance to change things still. I realise the PSU is currently overkill but given that I'm almost certainly going to go crossfire later I wanted to get something a bit bigger, or is the 600 W the recommendation for crossfire?

I realise the motherboard could go down a bit but I think I'll stick with it still.

I actually had ended up changing to two of those 1 TB HDDS for RAID 1.

Thanks for the suggestions :)