Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

ECS X58B-A vs ASROCK X58 EXTREME, who`s the winner?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 13, 2010 7:59:40 PM

Hi everyone, I`m just wondering wich of this cheap MoBo is the best?
In performance only, not in the price, and also can enter in the competition the others X58 cheap boards.

I know tom's hardware made a review about this and the winner was the ASROCK board, but I like to hear it from user experience, and this is because in the internet are to much post or forums about all the error or bug in this board.
May 14, 2010 8:11:03 AM

ASROCK should be better than ECS
ASROCK team come from ASUS
Score
0

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2010 12:40:17 PM

ASRock makes a better quality product than ECS, I know this from experience with both board makers.

I also recommend the ASRock X58 Extreme as it has proven to be a solid, reliable, good performing, and easy to use mobo. I've been using the X58 Extreme for about a year now with no hardware or compatibility issues. I can easily oc my D0 920 to a stable 24/7 4GHz and the board and system as whole doesn't even flinch.

Please note that it seems as though ASRock had a bad run of these boards and some of the user reviews on Newegg.com are less than favorable. However, I will say that if you get a good board, you have an excellent platform for a great performing X58/i7 machine. I also recommend updating to the latest BIOS immediately after you get the board, from reading the reviews on Newegg.com it appears as though some issues are a result of not updating to the latest BIOS and PEBCAK.

Two other low cost high performing X58 mobos are the Asus P6T and the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R.

Good luck!
Share
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2010 8:13:50 PM

I personally have no experience with this board, but ECS is generally bottom-of-the-barrel. I'd go with Asrock.

Don't know if they've fixed it in recent models, but for years ECS boards would give you INCREDIBLE headaches with video cards. They would use an autodetect function to find and set up the video card, and basically, it never worked. As an added bonus, it would interfere with attempts to set up a card like you normally would. Those boards tended to all have onboard video, though, and this one doesn't, so maybe they've gotten with the times at least for the X58 models.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 2:45:49 AM

capt_taco said:
I personally have no experience with this board, but ECS is generally bottom-of-the-barrel. I'd go with Asrock.

Don't know if they've fixed it in recent models, but for years ECS boards would give you INCREDIBLE headaches with video cards. They would use an autodetect function to find and set up the video card, and basically, it never worked. As an added bonus, it would interfere with attempts to set up a card like you normally would. Those boards tended to all have onboard video, though, and this one doesn't, so maybe they've gotten with the times at least for the X58 models.

In fairness to ECS, they do make durable boards, at least in my experience. I still have an ECS board running Pentium IV. And another ECS GF8200A that matches overclocking ability of my more featured MSI 790FX-GD70. But I mentioned, I do favor AsRock although I still do not have the chance to own this board due to the unavailability of their high end models where I am. I just gotten this preference due to very good reviews they get.
Score
0
May 15, 2010 9:05:43 PM

I have an ECS A780GM-A with the phenom X4 9750, 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz in dual chanel and one ATI HD 4890 1Gb (witn no OC) and it's awesome, I can't imaginate how powerful will be one X58 board with 6Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, but in mexico it's to dificult to get an asrock board because there is no places where to buy.
I can get one from my cousin who lives in san antonio TX, but if the ECS is good as the asrock is I can get one right here in mexico, I just don't want to make a mistake, so I prefer to wait, but getting the best X58 cheap board
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 12:56:20 AM

jenkas said:
I have an ECS A780GM-A with the phenom X4 9750, 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz in dual chanel and one ATI HD 4890 1Gb (witn no OC) and it's awesome, I can't imaginate how powerful will be one X58 board with 6Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, but in mexico it's to dificult to get an asrock board because there is no places where to buy.
I can get one from my cousin who lives in san antonio TX, but if the ECS is good as the asrock is I can get one right here in mexico, I just don't want to make a mistake, so I prefer to wait, but getting the best X58 cheap board

Ah... if you are in Mexico and ECS is available and AsRock is not, then go for the ECS. The difference in features won't matter really much but the advantage of getting the motherboard from your favorite local store is that it is easier to claim warranty in case there is problem with the board. If you get it from Texas, then you have to ship it back & forth.
Good luck.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 2:54:25 AM

randomkid said:
In fairness to ECS, they do make durable boards, at least in my experience. I still have an ECS board running Pentium IV. And another ECS GF8200A that matches overclocking ability of my more featured MSI 790FX-GD70. But I mentioned, I do favor AsRock although I still do not have the chance to own this board due to the unavailability of their high end models where I am. I just gotten this preference due to very good reviews they get.


I do have to agree with you on that. I also have an old machine like that, that's worked fine for 6-7 years on the original ECS board. But I replaced the video card twice during that time, and MAN -- they did not have that down right. ECS boards are great if you don't need anything beyond onboard video, or if you're just going to set once and leave it, no major adjustments. But I would be hesitant to use one for a "performance" system, which is usually what X58 means.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 12:01:32 PM

Avoid buying ECS motherboards. The quality is crappy.
Asrock makes better products, anyway I would go with the following brands:

Asus
Gigabyte
Evga
MSI
DFI
Intel
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 1:05:25 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
Avoid buying ECS motherboards. The quality is crappy.
Asrock makes better products, anyway I would go with the following brands:

Proof?
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 1:17:52 PM

randomkid said:
Proof?


Kidding?

Just buy one... [:henry chinaski:1]
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 1:37:21 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
Kidding?

Just buy one... [:henry chinaski:1]

Not kidding... I got 2 in fact and they are working fine... I just don't see it fair to generalize that ECS makes crappy motherboards.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 1:58:31 PM

randomkid said:
Not kidding... I got 2 in fact and they are working fine... I just don't see it fair to generalize that ECS makes crappy motherboards.


You are a lucky man.

My advice is not to buy ECS motherboards. In my experience, It is the worst brand which I had to work with. Horrible Fiability.
Score
0
May 23, 2010 12:28:09 AM

Best answer selected by jenkas.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2012 1:03:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!