My hard drive won't boot

kaywalker

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hey guys

I just assembled a pc and I did an NTFS format on the new hard drive, windows installed some files and restarted. the problem is that windows installation doesn't boot from hard drive after the install. I get the "a disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del for restart"

The windows xp cd is fine because I've used it before.
My hard drive is connected to the SATA2_0 port on the motherboard and my system specs are below.

Intel i7 920
Gigabyte UD3-R (1366)
640 GB caviar black western digital
850w corsair power supply
hd 5850
6gb ocz ddr3

kaywalker

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I've reformatted a couple of times. Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. The actual windows xp installation doesn't go to completion. What happens is:
1- I boot from cd
2-format the disk, windows copies some files
3-computer restarts to continue windows installation, this time needing to boot from the hard drive.

I freeze at stage 3. So the windows installation doesn't go to completion, but it is stopped after the first restart, when the installation is supposed to continue from the hard drive boot.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you newly bought the entire system and build it yourself?

If so, you might have to set up the BIOS to work properly with your RAM sticks. I had the same problem. Set the frequency to whatever the Sticks are to run with, and set up the Timing and the voltage.

Maybe this iformation is irrelevant, Maybe I didn't fully understand your problem.

I had this problem too, and my suggestion solved it.

Although, if you bought the system fully prebuilt, the parts are to fit with each other to let the user start immediatly, or are to be set up by the store or manufacterer.

It's a good thought, but the OP said the format and initialization process completes fine. If it was RAM voltages, it would become unstable and fail to boot or restart at an earlier time than it is.

kaywalker

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
thanks for the responses. I set the proper memory settings. The pc doesn't have a floppy drive but you're correct I am trying to install xp service pack 1. Can I put the drivers on a cd?

kaywalker

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
thanks for the continuous responses aford10. Western digital doesn't seem to have any drivers for the caviar black.

I tried zeroing the hard drive but now the windows installation crashes on me and won't even get through the first stage.

I'm not sure what to do since WD does not have ANY drivers for the caviar black on their website.

I'm considering 1- connect through and IDE cable (would that help)
or 2- install vista

any thoughts are appreciated