Best mobo for my new rig

dvtran93

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hey everyone. I'm building a new PC rig to upgrade from my Q6600. I'm looking to get the following:

i7 930
6gb ddr3 triple thread ram
2 * Radeon 5970 (one now and one in a couple of years)
Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Case
WD 1TB Caviar Black
Auzentech Forte Sound Card

The only thing is I don't know which motherboard to pick. I need something that is very powerful for OC'ing (since I plan to OC to 3.6-4ghZ stable). I need something that will allow me to fit all of this stuff (mainly I need enough space to fit the 2 5970s, and still have left over space for my sound card and one extra pcie and pci lane for any future needs.

~$300 is about my budget (maybe going up to $400 if it is worth it)

Features I'm looking for:
USB 3.0
Sata 6gb/s
Good amount of usb ports

dvtran93

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking to get that.

One short question though: What's the difference between ASUS P6X58D Premium and ASUS P6X58D-E? I see a $60 difference but what about performance / hardware differences?

The P6X58D-E doesn't have some features that the P6X58D Premium have, like Dual LAN, Express gate drive and and on board reset button. BUT the P6X58D-E support RAID 6Gb/s, the other one only support RAID on SATA II.

In performance are very similar.

Well like I see u can go with the P6X58D-E, since meet ur requirements without problems.

Dual LAN is used when u have two ISP, is like a "intelligent" mobo, when ur 1st ISP going down for some problem, ur 2nd ISP start to work and u don't lost ur Internet connection. For the IT business is called port mirroring.

The "E" in the P6X58D-E means Extreme.