New gaming rig advice [Updated]

Ookami313

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
OK, as with a lot of people who come through here I'm in need of some advice on some components I'm looking at using for a new i7 gaming rig. I'm coming from a Shuttle/AMD background and it's been about 3 years since I actually looked at components so a lot is new to me. I do know that I want to give a shot at overclocking my setup to at least 3.2 from the initial 2.6, so the components I need will of course have to reflect that fact. :)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month and a half (i.e. My XMas present to myself. :D)

BUDGET RANGE: About $1200 with a little leeway Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly, possible updates later on for multimedia

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferably newegg.com, but willing to look at other places if prices are cheaper for the same component.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No brand preferences, willing to try or read reviews on any make as long as it is rated well.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Current monitor is a Samsung 25.5" running at 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None that I can think of.

Currently I'm going with the following:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 or 922
Processor: Intel i7 920 Bloomfield
CPU Cooler: Sunbeam CR-CCTF
Audio: On board for the time being, but eventually would like to get a Creative card
Power Supply: Antec TruePower New 750
Memory: OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Motherboard: EVGA E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58
HDDs: Seagate SATA 500GB, 300GB, 80GB (moving from old system)

Optical:
Currently have a LiteON DVDROM that I was planning on moving over, but just remembered it's a PATA. Probably want to buy a new SATA version for this new rig.

Video:
Still trying to decide on this. After doing some reading it seems that ATi has lept ahead of nVidia in the video card area.

Any way, I think that's it, though if I think of something else I'll add it. I appreciate any help that can be given and I thank everyone in advance for what help they can give. :)

Thanks. :hello:

Edit: Added suggestion template and updated list to current decisions. :)

Antec TruePower is a high quality PSU, Thermaltake isnt.

EVGA is a good company with good support, I will strongly consider an EVGA motherboard for my next build. The only problem is they tend to be premium quality at a premium price. The ASUS you have linked is discontinued, but the P6 series is good also.

Rather than buying two 260s I would get a single 5850. Its almost as fast, about the same price (maybe cheaper) and gives you DX11. A single strong card is always a better idea for power/heat/expandability if you are not getting a good price/performance benefit from going with multiple weaker cards. A pair of 5770s is also an option. They are low power consuming so you could drop to the TP 650 and still run two of them. I replaced a 9800 GTX with a 5770 and am pleased with the performance increase. Since AMD took over ATI their drivers seem to be better. The drivers are first release, so when they get optimised after some real world experience I expect the 5770 will match the 260/4870 in performance.

Ookami313

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
hmmmm... weird. Thought I grabbed the right link, guess I messed up somewhere.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

This is what it was supposed to have linked to. :heink:

The price between the EVGA and the ASUS is comparable; not including the rebate that EVGA has going on at the moment.

I was always under the assumption that Thermaltake made good PSUs, and this one caught my eye cause it seemed to have had pretty good ratings and was modular while the Antec was only semi-modular. I guess that if the Antec is better, then nor being modular won't be a big difference. :)

If the price was the same, I would pick an EVGA motherboard over an ASUS.

The TruePower semi-modular gives you most of the benefit of modular as almost half the cables are generally used anyway. I have a TP 650 and only one sata power cable is laying unused in the bottom of my case. With a bottom mounted power supply its not nearly as big of a deal.

Did you check out the HAF 922? It looks the same, is an inch shorter and less deep but an inch wider and less expensive.

Ookami313

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I actually did in the beginning, but decided to go with the 932 for the extra space for future expansion (if that happens) and cooling. I have to admit though, if I could see both physically and not just pictures I might change my mind, but no one around me carries them except online.

Ookami313

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Yea, doesn't look that different. Missing a few connections on the front face, but I guess that's not that bad. Now if only I could see one with a motherboard set up inside of it. :)

Thanks