Sign in with
Your question

Crysis crashing...video card related?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2009 5:58:12 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware forum, I have been getting crashes on Crysis (also on Farcry 2 and Company of Heroes) that are simply and bluntly put: annoying as hell. I cannot continue my game (I am rescuing the archeologist in the building with Psycho very early on), as it crashes at the exact same point in the dialogue between Psycho and the scientist.

I had the latest 64bit vista 200 series drivers, and downgraded to 186.18, but to no effect, as it crashes at the exact same point still.

The crash brings the screen entirely one color, sometimes gray, sometimes white, sometimes dark green, and sometimes orange. There is no way for me to close the game, as my system becomes unresponsive and I have to restart it at that point.

My system set up is as follows:
XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
XFX MB750I72P9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

It's a home built and not store bought.

I tried messing with some of the graphics settings in case it would help, but it crashed on both high and very high settings, although I haven't tried (nor do I want to have to) medium or low.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated!!
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 6:01:59 AM

If it crashes constantly in the same area, it's highly likely a software issue. It can also be a sound card issue. Try reinstalling the game. No error code is given?
m
l
November 18, 2009 6:03:24 AM

well the computer becomes unresponsive and i have to restart it. i'm kind of noob at this stuff (amateur at best), is there a log or something i can check for that?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 6:12:39 AM

jblock2490 said:
well the computer becomes unresponsive and i have to restart it. i'm kind of noob at this stuff (amateur at best), is there a log or something i can check for that?

If it completely freezes, there probably won't be a log. What kind of sound card do you have? There have been problems with people using PCI sound cards with bad drivers that freezes the game.
m
l
November 18, 2009 6:14:21 AM

im actually not running a sound card right now, just mobo sound. i never thought sound would be an issue with gaming when i built the computer o.O
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 6:16:12 AM

Your best bet looks like a reinstallation. Just back up the save files.
m
l
November 18, 2009 6:18:04 AM

word i will try that, and let you know how it goes. ty
m
l
November 18, 2009 2:22:33 PM

I had all sorts of problems with Crysis. I had to go back to the beginning of a section because there was an invisible helicopter flying around the port, and it would not let the game continue until I shot it down. Also, the carrier sequence at the very end is quite buggy and my system would crap out. You may not need to reload entirely. Try going back to the previous mission on your saved games and replay up to that point, it might go right through.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:26:09 AM

hmm well i just deleted all local game content, reinstalled it via steam, and right as i was about to jump out of the plane in the beginning scene, the game crashed again. GG lol
m
l
November 20, 2009 5:30:02 PM

hmm well this seems like a problem im never going to truly solve as long as i keep this same system set up (which i will for financial reasons lawl) so if anyone can think of anything let me know, otherwise it seems like im not going to be able to play crysis. different drivers, got a microsoft hotfix for some issue, different graphics settings, etc. all to no effect. thanks for any help thus far!
m
l
!