How to best set up a 3 disk 4TB Raid 5 in Win7 64bit

Ok firstly here is my situation...

I bought 3 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT and i want to put them in a Raid 5 setup, primarily for the redundancy...

Ive plugged them into my mobo (Asus Sabertooth p67) specifically using 3 SATAII ports since there is only 2 SATAIII ports on that onboard controller... no problems so far...

I set the Sata mode in the bios to raid... Pressed Ctrl-I at startup and configured my raid5 setup with 64kb strip size...
no problems so far...

So i enter Win 7 and goto Computer > Manage > Disk-management and it immediately asks me if i want MBR or GPT partioning... it also says that GPT is recommended for disks larger than 2TB so I choose GPT.
No problems so far...

Now for testing the setup I start by copying a large 1080P bluray image from my WD raptor drive to the Raid-5 setup and at first it seems good. transfer starts at around 140MB/s, but quickly reduces itself all the way down to a crawling 22MB/s.... Which I have a hard time accepting since i expected at least 80+ MB/s for a setup like this...

Now for the sake of trying I delete the drive in Disk-Management and convert it to MBR partioning which only allows for a 2TB drive, but with this setting I at least reach 70MB/s write speed to the drive... Of course this is still unacceptable because I cant utilize the last 2TB of the drive...

What am I doing wrong??? or is this performance on GPT setting to be expected... :pt1cable: <--- Me going crazy...

What can i do to get this drive up to speed...

Hope u guys can help...

and thx in advance..
5 answers Last reply
More about disk raid win7 64bit
  1. Mobo RAID-5 is notoriously slow. RAID-0 or RAID-1 don't have this problem; it's the parity calculation that does it. Are you getting any error messages? The RAID has not degraded?
  2. No not degraded, and its only using the GPT setting it crawls down to 22MB/s in the useless MBR mode it sustains 70MB/s
  3. also cpu load and ram usage is only slightly increased while writing to the disk...

Cpu is I5-2500K @3.33Ghz
    Ram is 8GB kingston 2000mhz running atm at 1333Mhz
  4. Are there mobo drivers that need to be loaded from CD?
  5. I would look at the Stand-Alone Hardware RAID - Driver-less
    http://www.amazon.com/multiplier-hardware-RAID0-CLONE-Controller/dp/B004JPUZWU

This will solve lot of your issue. 250MB/s all day long

It have a perfect review, because it's really good
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage