I need help spec-ing a system for my application needs

smk72

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hi all, I am a new user and web research seems to lead me back to answers thru threads on Toms Hardware.

Here is my dilemma. I want to try a custom build PC that is able to power two monitors (possibly three). The most resource demanding app will be the Microsoft HD Cinema Lifecam at full capability (720p), 30fps on one monitor (22"). On an average laptop system meeting minimum requirements per the webcam it runs slowly with lag. The intention was to have it run on a Desktop anyways. The other monitor probably will showcase a photo slideshow. The third monitor possibly like PowerPoint presentation or similar (obviously if I go towards this route two video cards are needed). I will be running all at the same time while connected and uploading to the internet.

I am seeking models from PCUSA that seem like good prices and builds (here is link):
http://www.pcusa.com/Contents/i7i5

I want to make sure the computer meets my need specifically for the webcam and ensuring that runs at optimal capability with no issues (very smooth graphics). I would think the critical items are the processor, graphics card and RAM. By checking out the link above, are there any builds that closely fit my need and if so, which ones and what configurator changes should I make if any? Two parts, I am looking for a build with one video card (if I choose to just use two monitors) and another build with two video cards if I decide to spend a little more cash to be safe running three monitors.

Appreciate anyones expert advise!!

If you get a new 5800 series ATI graphics card and one monitor has a displayport connector you can run 3 from the one graphics card.

Unfortunately I dont know anything about those applications or how much CPU/GPU they take to run efficiently.

smk72

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

thanks dndhatcher. I heard the same as well that those Radeons support 3 monitors, but I had also heard that you can still only use two of the ports at one time (such as the 2 DVI, or one of the DVI with the dsiplayport, but not all three). A techy told me that. Most said I was still better off going with two actual video cards (that is, if I even decide to go that route). Thanks again.....I am still more concerned if anyone can speak to pairing the CPU/GPU with the MS HD Lifecam while running some of the other apps (its hard finding data for this and MS support is of no help).

smk72

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Hmmmm, good to know!! Yes that must be where the confusion was..I do not see many monitors with display ports, but is there an adaptor that is sold that may use the displayport with another dvi cord to the monitor? stinks you cannot use the 2 DVI plus the HDMI, then one card definately be the advantage and save some cash i assume.