Sign in with
Your question

I have an Intel MB and the front case fan hunts?

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2010 2:58:37 AM

I bought a couple of Cooler Master 120mm case fans for each of my Intel MB and Intel processors. They are connected to the MB's "Front Fan" connector. In both computers the fans want to "Hunt" (speedup and slow down).
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2010 3:55:29 AM

What happens if you connect the cpu fan to the cpu header, and just one case fan to the front fan connector?
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
January 27, 2010 1:43:20 PM

Check the bios for an option to disable temperature controlled fan speed.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
January 27, 2010 2:36:49 PM

Sounds like a little bit of confusion and misunderstanding. Did you check you motherboard manual? Usually there is a diagram showing the location and type of fan connections on a motherboard.

wudpro - you mentioned you purchased fans for your Intel processors. That would mean fans for the cpu heatsinks. If that is correct, then the cpu heatsink fan should be plugged in to the "cpu_fan" connector on the motherboard. The cpu heatsink fan should not be plugged into some other fan connector on the motherboard such as "front fan". In addition, the cpu heatsink fan can be controlled and settings can be changed in BIOS. You may or may not be able to change BIOS settings to control other fans plugged into the motherboard.

Any chance you meant something completely different?
January 27, 2010 5:43:39 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Sounds like a little bit of confusion and misunderstanding. Did you check you motherboard manual? Usually there is a diagram showing the location and type of fan connections on a motherboard.

wudpro - you mentioned you purchased fans for your Intel processors. That would mean fans for the cpu heatsinks. If that is correct, then the cpu heatsink fan should be plugged in to the "cpu_fan" connector on the motherboard. The cpu heatsink fan should not be plugged into some other fan connector on the motherboard such as "front fan". In addition, the cpu heatsink fan can be controlled and settings can be changed in BIOS. You may or may not be able to change BIOS settings to control other fans plugged into the motherboard.

Any chance you meant something completely different?

Sorry for the confussion. The fans are for the case and not the CPU. The fans I bought were for a "Large" CPU liquid cooler. I am trying to use them for the case. I have plugged it into the "Front Fan" socket on the MB. The rear fan is already installed and connected to the "rear Fan" socket. The CPU fan is plugged into the "CPU Fan" socket.

My problem is with the newly installed 120mm front fan. It speeds up and slows down "hunts" for the correct speed. The BIOS is set correct. My feeling is that Intel did not properly set the PWM damping enough and this fan needs more damping to keep it from "hunting".

This problem is on both of my computers. Both have Intel MBs. Both have the newly installed fans.

a c 248 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
January 27, 2010 5:48:57 PM

Please list the brand, model, and specifications for those fans you bought.

Have you tried connecting the new fan directly to the power supply and letting it run at maximum rpm?
January 27, 2010 5:49:20 PM

das_stig said:
Check the bios for an option to disable temperature controlled fan speed.

das_stig.....Great name...did you get it from the race car driver? If I disable temp control the fan goes full speed and produces a lot of noise...
January 27, 2010 5:57:16 PM

Newf said:
What happens if you connect the cpu fan to the cpu header, and just one case fan to the front fan connector?

Newf

Sorry for the confussion. The CPU fan is plugged into it's connector "CPU Fan" on the MB and the front fan is connected to the "front Fan" connector on the MB. My system only had a rear fan and is plugged into the"rear Fan" connector on the MB. I installed 4 raptor drives and need more cooling in the case's front. So, I added this 120mm fan and plugged it into the front fan socket and the fan "Hunts".

I have two computers, both Intel MB & Intel CPUs. Both do exactly the same thing.."Hunt".
January 27, 2010 6:06:29 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Please list the brand, model, and specifications for those fans you bought.

Have you tried connecting the new fan directly to the power supply and letting it run at maximum rpm?

JohnnyLucky.. Yes I connected the fan to the 12vdc supply and it runs around 2,000 rpm. The fans are Cooler Master A12025-24RB-4BP-F1

they come as a pair for a V10 Cooler (push & pull) and are connected in parrallel through four wire plugs. I have disconnected them and using only one for the front case fan. They are supposed to be rated at 2,000 rpm, 90 cfm, 22db, 12vdc, .37 amps, and red leds

!