Your question
Solved

Temperature Confusion!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2010 4:20:16 AM

I've only recently in the past couple of months built a new Phenom II x3 720 rig and I've got everything on default settings - No overclock, nothing on the stock fan (I added Arctic Silver instead of the normal compound).

What is confusing me with all of this is the high temperature that Speedfan is reporting to me, but at the same time, coretemp is giving me a whole different temperature.

What can I do to identify which device is running hot?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a picture of both of the programs reporting temperatures:

More about : temperature confusion

January 27, 2010 4:33:39 AM

Both programs agree on your cpu temp @ 46C. Hard drive temps in the low 30s are OK. The top 3 temps have no ID. My guess is that the 42c is your system and the 54+ readings are from video card(s). Hot readings to speedfan default settings may not be abnormal, especially for GPUs.
m
l
January 27, 2010 4:35:49 AM

Oh that explains a lot then, yeah, I thought that the 58C one was my CPU but now that you've reminded me it's a high chance that it's the 4850 I've got :p  So it's normal to have two temperature readings for one video card?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 4:40:49 AM

To verify, download gpuz and compare the temperatures it finds to those of speedfan.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 5:57:46 AM

Look closely folks: There are no GPU readings on that screenshot. The three temperatures are for the 3 CPU cores. One core is at 74% usage, that's why it's running hotter than the others.
m
l
January 27, 2010 6:08:05 AM

But how come AMD Overdrive reports all three cores at the same temperature? What can I do to fix this problem? I'm aware of the unbalanced CPU load but I believe it's from lack of multi-threading support from the game :(  Which of these should I be most concerned about though?

I know that these temperatures are high but what is the chance of it being accurate? If there's a 40C reading on core and a 55C reading on Temp3 which one am I supposed to trust...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 6:37:52 AM

Did you take the Overdrive reading while you were playing the game? It would be natural for a more highly-loaded core to be at a higher temperature. If Overdrive says otherwise, I would be a bit suspicious.
m
l
January 27, 2010 7:41:06 AM

Each core is read in overdrive whilst playing that game as the exact same temperature. This is odd... Maybe speedfan is correct?
m
l
January 27, 2010 9:54:42 AM

Just use HWMonitor, you can get it from http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

The way it is layed out is much simpler; its easier to understand of which component is which.

As for the temps in speed fan... won't be the first time it gave me wrong readings...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 12:11:52 PM

AMD doesn't have individual core temps that can be read by speedfan or similar programs (if they even have individual core diodes), so those extra temps are not the cpu.
One ore more of those temps might be spots on the mobo (you might be able to compare these to hwmonitor). If you feel gutsy, you can feel your heatsink, gpu, northbridge while the comp is operating and get a relative feeling on what the temps are (please do not do this unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing!).
It is possible that speedfan is reporting inaccurate temps, though. Speedfan on my comp shows the temp 1 and 3 varying from -20 to 103 and back down again while the comp is idle.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 6:03:24 PM

pepperman said:
AMD doesn't have individual core temps that can be read by speedfan or similar programs (if they even have individual core diodes), so those extra temps are not the cpu.
One ore more of those temps might be spots on the mobo (you might be able to compare these to hwmonitor). If you feel gutsy, you can feel your heatsink, gpu, northbridge while the comp is operating and get a relative feeling on what the temps are (please do not do this unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing!).
It is possible that speedfan is reporting inaccurate temps, though. Speedfan on my comp shows the temp 1 and 3 varying from -20 to 103 and back down again while the comp is idle.

Sorry mate, but my Athlon X2 shows two distinctly different core temperatures in CPU HWmonitor. Next theory, please.
m
l
January 27, 2010 9:00:24 PM

I don't think it could be my motherboard since I have a gigabyte ultra durable thing with that massive heatsink that has the heatpipes. Under normal operation (idle and basic computer stuff that I do all the time) it all works fine temperature wise, it's only when I start gaming.

What I am worried about (the whole reason why im posting this) is because I really want to know something. Should I be worried if my CPU temperature is that high whilst gaming but fine with everything else?

Please note that I live in Australia - It's the middle of summer :p 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 27, 2010 11:37:19 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Sorry mate, but my Athlon X2 shows two distinctly different core temperatures in CPU HWmonitor. Next theory, please.

I checked HWMonitor too, but the temps are all approx. the same (within 1 C of each other). Speedfan, however, only reads one core temp, and it is listed as such.

Those temps are coming from somewhere on the mobo, but they might not be accurate.

@ Downfall222, your cpu temp is fine; if it gets to the low 70s (73 to be exact) you should start worrying.
February 4, 2010 4:49:34 AM

Best answer selected by Downfall222.
m
l
!