Solved

Backing up files in a flash drive or DVD?

I need to make a back up of about 3 GB worth of files and some images, but I'm wondering what would be the best back up method between buying a 4 GB flash drive to copy the data or burning it on a DVD. I'm just gonna copy those files and leave them stored for a long time and i wanna know what would be most reliable way to backup.

I hope you can help me with this, because i really don't wanna buy a whole new external hdd or upload them to some online service.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about backing files flash drive
  1. Best answer
    A DVD would work fine. The life span of a DVD (as well as CD) is 5 to 7 years depending on the storage environment.
  2. ^Agree

Also, a single sided dvd holds 4.7Gb of date which is more than the 4gig flash drive. A dual layer dvd will hold 9.4Gb of data.
  3. Some DVD burners will not handle Dual Layer. Check this before you buy Dual Layer DVDs.
  4. Best answer selected by draggoth.
  5. Well, I ended burning all my stuff in a DVD, and for the sake of experimentation I also copied everything in a flash drive. I'm just gonna store those backup files for a while, and when/if I check back on them again then I'll see which one held up better.
  6. hello,

backup process stored in CD/DVD. But, first to take backup from your OS.
    Means first create .bkf file in your system and that file to copy into the storage devices like CD/DVD,pen drive etc...

how to take back up from your system....
    go to..
    All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Back Up
    or
    Go to Run > ntbackup <enter>

now Wizard appeared..
    select Next > Backup files and settings > next > Let me choose > next > select your files or folders > choose a place to save your files or folders storage devices like CD/DVD, Pen drive & give name of it > Next > close

check your Backup files or folders ....

How to Restore It....?

All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Back Up
    or
    Go to Run > ntbackup <enter>

now Wizard appeared..

select Next > Restore files and settings > next > select your backup files or folders > next > Finish > close

check your Restored files or folders ....
  7. sir is that all?
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Flash Drive External Hard Drive Storage