Jan 10, 2010
Here's my setup

GA-EP45-UD3P
e8400 w/ arctic freezer 7 pro rev2.0
gskill 4gb (2x2gb) ddr2 1066
evga gtx275
corsair tx 850W

Here's the problem:

i've been having a huge problem with this board (EP45 UD3P) and getting 2 sticks of memory to run in dual channel. two sticks will work as long as they are not in dual channel, so as long as they are in slots 1&2 and 3&4 it boots fine. i rma'd the board once, and today i just got the replacement... but i'm having exactly the same problem no matter what kind of memory i use (i've tried using 2x1gb ocz ddr2 800, and 2x1gb kingston ddr2 667), all with no luck.

i've tried tweaking bios with limitless combinations with absolutely no luck. the computer goes into endless reboot cycles and wont post with dual channel memory. i wouldn't consider myself a professional tweaker but im by no means a beginner. something is broken, and i'm starting to wonder if it has been the processor's memory controller since the beginning. (or am i just really unlucky with these mobos?)

Here are the tests ive run:

Memtest 86 runs fine with 1 stick. huge errors once in dual channel

prime95 with 1 stick. ran totally fine with no errors for an hour, all temperatures were fine

Today I sent newegg a refund RMA for the EP45 UD3P and the gskill ddr2 1066 F2-8500CLD, and i decided to order an EP45 UD3R with 4gb gskill ddr2 800 F2-6400CLD; but now, im starting to wonder if something is wrong with the processor, is it possible something broke while transfering components, cleaning and reapplying paste etc.? what would be the signs of a broken memory controller on the cpu?

any help would be greatly appreciated! if something is wrong with the e8400 im pretty sure intel can replace it for me, it's been a bit longer than 2 years now and i still have the packaging, and they have a 3 year boxed processor warranty so i think theyd be able to replace it.

any advice?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I'll bet the cpu is fine. There's no memory controller in there anyway.
When you get the new stuff, go into BIOS setup and clock the memory down to 667 at stock voltage (I think that's 2:1, but it will give you the speed reading of 667). Leave the cpu at stock speed. You should now have a stable system, and a baseline to tweak upwards if you want.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

I used to have an Athlon 64 3200+ with one broken pin that behaved just like that. So, my advice is, check for bent or broken pin on the CPU.
Make sure the CPU is seated properly on the socket. If its not the pin(s), then, well, looks like your suspection is correct.

Shoeski

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
thanks newf. ya there aren't any pins on an e8400... just flat reciever things (not sure what they are called). i checked them out anyways... everything seems completely fine. and doesn't the processor handle dual channel memory control? or not in the way im thinking of?

4745454b

Titan
It would on a modern system, but the C2D line still uses the old FSB.

Sounds like either you have bad memory (that many sticks though???), or its not getting the SPD settings correct. Memory will error if the timing are to fast, or the voltage isn't high enough. Double check the settings in the bios.

Can you change the NB voltage with that board? Try upping it .1V and see what happens.

Shoeski

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
yes, i have tried everything between auto MCH voltage to 1.3 voltage. nothing will work... yes ive tried manually setting timings for 1066, and i've even tried manually setting timings to try running it at ddr2 800. nothing worked :/